Records and CDs

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks exclusively going through my extensive record collection playing hardly any digital media and have come to some conclusions.
Records are fun and enjoyable to work with, but ultimately for a music lover they’re a dead end. Since very few new titles are being released on records these days I find myself going through mainly old familiar performances. Then there’s the age old problem of comparing the SQ of both media which is maddening. I just today went back to streaming (and CDs.). I clearly see, for me this is the way to continue my listening habits. Records can be used as a diversion but not the main event.

128x128rvpiano

signaforce

102 posts

Interesting observation on my streamer. The N150 is a current model that sells for $3,500. Between my streamer and DAC, I spent over $5,000. My analog side was just over $4,000 & in my mind superior. So you are recommending I move to a streamer that costs $7,000+, so $9,000 digital would be better than $4,000 analog?

Maybe, but IMHO we should be comparing like for like. If I then spend $9,000 on corresponding Analog (cartridge, TT, phono pre), I strongly believe the Analog would be superior, just like my current system or at any price point on a like for like comparison. IMHO. 

@signaforce it’s a trap! Tongue-in-cheek but trying to compare entire playback chains based on per-unit or overall cost is not an errand I’ll run. And if in the future it’s proven to be an errand for smart folks only, never mind, I’ll happily play the fool. 😉

First order of business would be confirming the master of the vinyl disc and streamed file you’re hearing are the same. If not, all bets off. Next would be the QC of the vinyl - most new digitized/remasters (streaming files) will be of limited dynamic range, but then so are many LP’s. You may well be comparing two different variants of apples or oranges, which would be sufficient for small differences.

Old vinyl is can be fantastic for albums that weren’t mastered digitally, weren’t remastered well, or that simply aren’t available via streaming or digitally at all. Good QC’ed vinyl doesn’t need a 5+ figure setup to sound great; then again, neither does digital. If I had time to digitize all my records, I would have extremely few left in my possession. Hopefully someday.

I’m beginning to see that making it a contest of digital vs. analog is a fool’s errand. 
 They can peacefully COEXIST in one’s listening habits, appreciating each for its own merits. I don’t have to only listen to one over the other as the “main event.”  Just accepting both as part of a satisfying listening experience is where it’s at.  There need be no “winner.” 
Of course I acknowledge the advantages of digital but it needn’t usurp analog.

@rvpiano 

Thank you, good post. There are many variables. 
@benanders 

You are correct, Apple to Apple comparisons are difficult. Most of my albums are from the 60’s & 70’s. The remastered albums tend to be inferior and quality pressings can be hard to find.
For example, I recently purchased Miles Davis “kind of blue” remastered. The Qobuz version from the original cut is vastly superior in sound quality. Another example, I recently purchased Jon Batiste “We Are”…original pressing but poor, again Qobuz sound was superior. 
However, when I AB original old pressings to Qobuz, or quality new pressings, IMHO the nod goes to vinyl. 
There are many variables. 

I'm the exact opposite...records are the main event, digital is for my convenience. The process and interaction with the media (records) is part and parcel of what makes the whole experience enjoyable. Cd or digital cannot compare to the way old records were once recorded, all Analog. I'm in the "better records" camp. Some recordings suck, some are just out of this world (records). I also love the interaction with the device (turntable).