roon sound wasn't as good

I'm among a smaller group of audiophiles who have tried roon really hoping to keep it for tis wonderful functionality, but chose not to continue to not use it based on sound quality.   Basically, sound quality via room was different than direct from my Naim streamer using its native (not great functionality) software.  I lose some of the warmth and ambiance and get a harder edged sound  You don't hear this often (though I have read a few others who were also not happy with a perceived sound difference) but I tested several tracks and music types (using tidal in all cases) and the results were consistent  My server for roon was my pc,  the Naim is an ND5 XS2 and is a roon end point.  I am using the Naim built in DAC.  

gshaikun

If you want to hear ROON with DSP done at a professional level then Mitch Barnett at Accurate Sound is the guy to talk to. For $750 you can get ROON Convolution filters created for your room, speakers, listening position.

I no longer use the ROON Convolution filters but when I did it was a audio system life saver. I will get Mitch to do another set of filters for my new Livingroom system. It already sounds great but I am curious what Mitch can do since I do keep the speakers a little to close to the front wall.

My guess is that you either had DSP activated changing things or your system without roon is a slightly different setup providing a different color. Roon with your streaver vs your streamer alone should sound the same. I assume both use the same wiring--ethernet into the back of your streamer and then your preferred cable to the DAC. Roon core goes elsewhere, often near the router.

Either way, good that you are happy with your system.

Jerry

The NAIM streamer / DAC is quite good. I am running ROON on a different system than my NAIM , so can’t directly comment on a a/b comparison… You might try the NAIM forum for more insights on a more direct comparison. Also…in my opinion, you are getting good advice on both roon core hosting and fiber implementation, small green computer can help w affordable kit.

someone asked about upsampling, Im not certian what I chose I think I took the maximum upsampling, wonder if my Naim Dac might not have liked the upsampled signal   I didn't try it without upsampling if memory serves  This is the 14 day problem again, just not enough time to try everything.

fiber optic...where?   I have wifi in the house.  PC wired to a router    Naim wired to a router  PC communicates to the Naim I assume as a network device which has the roon firmware as endpoint in it  Fiber optic is from the house to the street yes (its verizon fios)