roon sound wasn't as good

I'm among a smaller group of audiophiles who have tried roon really hoping to keep it for tis wonderful functionality, but chose not to continue to not use it based on sound quality.   Basically, sound quality via room was different than direct from my Naim streamer using its native (not great functionality) software.  I lose some of the warmth and ambiance and get a harder edged sound  You don't hear this often (though I have read a few others who were also not happy with a perceived sound difference) but I tested several tracks and music types (using tidal in all cases) and the results were consistent  My server for roon was my pc,  the Naim is an ND5 XS2 and is a roon end point.  I am using the Naim built in DAC.  

gshaikun

Roon DSP functionality takes a little time to get the hang of but it’s worth it and opens up all kinds of possibilities for tailoring the sound room by room, device by device all in digital domain. I use it all the time and have presets for 4 different rooms and various headphones.

The computer does not matter if you use fibre to get the bits to the DAC. I never connect my computer directly to the USB input of a DAC. Always use fibre to stop all the analog noise from the network getting into the DAC. It is like a moat around the DAC.

The Naim streamer is hard-wired directly to the router (ethernet)

I have not tried DSP but Im not sure how I'd try to tailor it to make the sound less hard, and get the ambiance back.   I only have one room I use it for, my main listening room which is my living room.  

Problem with the trial period is you have 14 days to figure it out and keep it or get rid of it.  I ran out of time, but went back twice to listening tests and both times was not enjoying the result  And as much as I like the way it integrates all my sources and services, the name of the game is maximum listening pleasure.  

If you want to hear ROON with DSP done at a professional level then Mitch Barnett at Accurate Sound is the guy to talk to. For $750 you can get ROON Convolution filters created for your room, speakers, listening position.

I no longer use the ROON Convolution filters but when I did it was a audio system life saver. I will get Mitch to do another set of filters for my new Livingroom system. It already sounds great but I am curious what Mitch can do since I do keep the speakers a little to close to the front wall.