JJ preamp tubes - repeated problems

I purchased an amplifier that came with stock tubes made by JJ.  There were problems with the amplifier so I replaced some tubes and then figured out it was the pre-amplifier tubes and small tubes. The manufacturer in this case who is McIntosh did send me replacement tubes and they worked for a month or so and then began to crackle. Now I have to figure out which of the six small tubes is creating a problem. 

I'm curious to know if manufacturers test the tubes that they use in the amplifiers before they ship them out? Maybe they test fine and then go bad within a month. I'm very suspicious they don't bother testing their tubes.

Judging by the process to test individual tubes and when you have 24 tubes on an amplifier I can understand them not giving them much attention during the manufacturing process. Maybe they expect people to replace all the tubes just like the power cords they send out.

.Many replace the stock tubes immediately with gold lions which seems like an easy choice. Maybe manufactures do test their tubes and they're just using a poor manufacturer. 

Do others have tube problems with McIntosh amplifiers?

emergingsoul

I recently had a relatively new (about few dozen hours) JJ 6922 gold pin in my preamp went "pop!" then died with the glass badly cracked near the base. Thankfully I was still able to remove the dead tube from its socket.

I recently had a relatively new (about few dozen hours) JJ 6922 gold pin in my preamp went "pop!" then died with the glass badly cracked near the base.

Wow--sounds like an epidemic!  Pics?

JJ’s have proven to be the most unreliable and poorest sounding tubes I’ve used in any of my tube electronics.  ymmv.  “Twilight era of tube amps”.  I guess only time will tell.  My money is on tubes.

Telefunken, RCA, Mazda, Gold Lion, lots of other choices, may cost a little but what did the FRAM man say?? Pay me now or pay me later? (Fram filters do suck though)

The vast majority of small signal triodes are made by either JJ or New Sensor - regardless of what name is on the box.