Microphonics, Feedback and Bob Carver

First, I’m going to present a theory I don’t have a lot of investment in, I’m just curious about.

Bob Carver and I, at different times, have wondered about the ability of an amplifier’s feedback circuit to be impacted by a speaker’s natural microphonic attributes. That is, in a room and unplugged to an amp a speaker and microphone are broadly similar. A diaphragm is exposed to sound which moves a voice coil which generates an AC signal in proportion to the acoustic event. Of course, a speaker is a terrible microphone, but it can be one.

The question I’ve had, and then read Bob Carver also asked (but he’s not known for always being right, nor am I 😁) is whether part of the problem with negative feedback in an amplifier is that it can pick up in room sounds (such as from the other speaker) and react to it in a negative fashion.

While this is testable via equipment I don’t have, not to mention time/energy to do it right, I’m wondering if anyone has ever read any more on this subject they’d care to share?

erik_squires

@atmasphere To put this another way, the amp must produce an equal and opposite reaction to the incoming room noise (or fingers poking).  That means that the current flowing through the output stage must be an analogue of that pressure. The voltage is zero, but not the current. :)

Fascinating to see two technical experts to and fro on an issue even if I have no understanding of the technicalities that they are debating.

@mazian

While I appreciate your accolades, lets be honest. @atmasphere actually builds excellent and highly sought-after electronics for a living and if anyone should be called an expert it should be him.

By comparison, I’m just a dabbler in a thousand little things.

OTOH, ask me to compare how Dolby Surround functioned in motion picture auditoriums and how it differed from Dolby Digital and DTS and multi-track digital film and I probably have the edge. :)

@erik_squires you said recently "welcome to AG where you get what you pay for and a whole lot less".  I thought that was brilliant (comeback) but I'd say this is far from worth-less.  And like the prior,  I'm barely hanging on past, the speaker acts as a microphone!   Carry on. 

Some people can sit on a small rise above a serene valley on a beautiful spring day and just marvel at the wondrous view. Others never get to really enjoy the view because they get too wrapped up in trying to figure out why it's so wondrous. As Bonnie Raitt sang, "Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." In my golden years, I much prefer to sit back and enjoy the view, or in this case, the sound of my system, for what it is. I'm happy to let all the young inquisitive minds take my place wondering why it is.