Kids, Dogs, and Speakers

We have 2 dogs (25 lbs and 35 lbs) who tear around the house and preschool grandchildren. I like the sound of my Spendor A4s, but they are very narrow and top-heavy, and we worry they could be unintentionally knocked over (mercifully, this hasn't happened yet).  We need speakers which are harder to knock over.  This is the room we spend the evening in, so we can't exclude kids or pups.

Our budget is $7k to, at a stretch, $15k. I'm considering the KEF Meta R11 meta, the Sonus Faber Olyimpica Nova 2 and 3, and the Spendor D7.2 (which are wider and have a lower centre of gravity than the A4s). I ruled out the Sonetto 8s and Dali Rubicon 8s because the lowest speaker is vulnerably close to the ground. I like the extra stability that the outrigger feet give the KEFs and the Sonus Fabers.

I need to find things that I can audition in the section of the East Coast from New York to Washington DC.

Do you have any recommendations for speakers that are harder to knock over?

Thanks!

wqgq_641

Many years ago when I was a vertically challenged person living in a house full of like individuals and something got broken, my dad would just sigh and lament how foolish it was to try and have nice things in a house full of kids. Doesn't answer the OP's question, just puts it into perspective. 😏

Portable kennels are easy to deploy, and can accommodate children up to 75 pounds.

K Horns in a 13' X 13' room? Right... might as well get four of them, the sound should keep the kids and the dogs out of the room.

Outriggers will definitely help if you don’t have them already, but not a fool (child) proof solution.

Another option in a room this small is Fritz speakers. Sound very large for their size and you can actually put them on bookshelves.

Okay, sorry for the smart--- response. Just saw an opportunity and went with it.

I love my grandkids and little furry guy. My speakers are 6’-4" tall, so I never worried too much about critters (including the human kind) toppling them over. I did put my "back up" turntable into service for years -- a B&O tangental tracking model, so my wife could play music for, and with, grandchildren without ever touching the tonearm.

Looks like you’re getting some good advice here.