Upgrade My Turntable - How Much Do I Need to Spend?

I have recently fallen in love with listening to vinyl on my turntable.  In recent years, I have spent most of my listening time with digital music stored on my server (flac files recorded from CD's), but recently I discovered the beauty of placing an album on the turntable and listening to the entire album.  It's been a wonderful find for me.

My 2-channel room features:

• McIntosh C260 Tube Preamp
  • McIntosh MC452 Solid State Amp
  • Martin Logan Montis speakers
  • Various upgraded cables and wires
  • Acoustically treated listening room
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable
  • Ortofon Blue Cartridge

My question is:  how big of a step up do I need to make with my turntable to take full advantage of the other components in my system?  I do not intend to do further upgrades with my speakers or amp system, but I would like to step up my game from the introductory level turntable that I bought years ago.  

I've been doing lots of reading and studying, but I would love to hear advice from some of the analog experts on this forum.  (Please don't flame my current system - there are reasons I love my McIntosh and those components are not going anywhere!)  Should I make a move to a $4000 turntable?  Or????  I would love to find a lightly used Rega RP10, and call my search over - but what do others think?

One thing that I believe I value is a simple setup.  I have read horror stories about how much time and frustration can go into getting a turntable setup and then constantly having to tinker for optimal performance.  I don't see myself enjoying that part of the process.

Thanks!

hikerneil

I was in the same position as you.  I had a good turntable but constantly had to fiddle with it.  It took all the enjoyment of listening to vinyl away.  I traded my turntable in on a new Technics SL1200G DD turntable @4K.  This is the least fiddly turntable I have ever owned.  Its like the Showtime oven that the late Ron Popeil was hawking. "Set it and forget it".  I now play a lot more vinyl, and it plays very mice with my McIntosh C2500 tube pre and MC302 amp.

Listen to Jazz?

I'm reading a great Jazz Encyclopedia I was given. SOOO many Jazz greats made their reputations in the 40’s, early 50’s. i.e. MONO LPs. The recording techniques of that era (not the 30’s) were darn good.

Early Classical, so much great stuff is MONO.

Playing MONO LPs with a true MONO Cartridge is definitely better, by a little or a heck of a lot. Lack of Noise, and distinction of individual instruments (not imaging, but clarity from other instruments).

Playing a Stereo Cartridge even if your Preamp has a Mono Mode: the cartridge will pick up any vertical movement: scuffs, surface dust, dirt in the grooves, very slight warps: then the preamp’s Mono Mode will DOUBLE the unwanted noise in both speakers.

Thus, quick change from Stereo Cartridge to Mono Cartridge?

I went thru a few phases until I realized, get a TT with TWO Tonearms, two cartridges ready to go!

In any listening session, play Stereo/Mono/Back to Stereo in seconds.

A single arm, with removable headshells and a few cartridges pre-mounted can work, but tracking force/anti-skate/arm height adjustments/verify azimuth each change is not easy or quick, certainly not instant.

I got too excited and added a 3rd arm, but now I have MC long arm; MC or MM rear arm, removable headshells (swap mine or my friends), and MC Mono 3rd arm left side.

You can find a TT that allows 2 or more Tonearms, start with one, add a second arm if you find the need, at least start with the capability.

And, IF single arm, a removable headshell.

Get a good phono stage, something in line with the TT you get.  My phono stage cost more than my TT.

A used Rega P8/10 would be nice.  RB880 and RB3000 are nice.

I got a used VPI Prime for $3k and am happy.  I think $3-4k is a good range; most of the tables have nice arms.