Class D, "Control (Variable Gain)," Amplifier versus Class A/B Separates?

Hello, all!

I am currently running a quite old PS Audio GCC-100 in my chain. It is a variable gain, class-D solid state power amplifier with balanced stereo inputs (functionally a balanced integrated amplifier). I recently purchased and am quite enjoying a pair of KEF LS50 Meta loudspeakers, but have been hearing from numerous people that they may sound even better with Class-A or Class-A/B amplification. I am curious what benefits, if any, I might get from making a switch. I am currently considering selling the GCC-100 and replacing it with a Schiit Kara preamplifier combined with a pair of Outlaw 2220 monoblocks. Any and all advice about what I might expect from such a swap would be greatly appreciated! And in case it matters, source is a Denafrips Ares II R-2R DAC playing lossless Apple Music.

-Ed

eddnog

@benanders @soix @mashif @tweak1 @ghdprentice So at the end, I went a different route and accidentally got what I wanted.

I was using some inexpensive, 28" stands with glass bases and platforms from Amazon, and I upgraded to the KEF S2 bolt-on, color-matched stands for my LS50 Metas, filled them with sand, and discovered that the change in stands resulted in a more full-bodied sound, bringing vocals more forward, which is exactly what I wanted (even though that was not specifically done looking for that result, I just wanted something less likely to get broken or knocked over by my 4- and 6-year old sons!). Since it sounds the way I want now, I went ahead and ordered a new/upgraded remote control from PS Audio too, since my original one that came with the GCC-100 is quite worn out.

Cheers to all and enjoy the music!

-Ed

Good for you. The GCC is still hard to beat. FYI it does respond to better power cords and iso devices

@tweak1 Yes, thanks! I am running upgraded power cords for all three components (the Ares II DAC, the GCC-100, and the SVS SB-3000), a passive filtering power strip, and two iFi AC iPurifiers on the strip, one at the end where the cord comes in and a second one between the digital and analog device connections. Speaker cables are SKW, as are the RCA interconnects to the subwoofer. iFi Mercury 3.0 USB cable with iFi iPurifier3 at the DAC end and an iFi iSilencer on the source end.

-Ed

@mashif I have the Schitt Kara. ...

However, there are two issues that are annoying. ...

The other is its sensitivity to static electricity. A slight touch and it will go into some strange mode and has to be power cycled. ...

I have 5 Schiit products. I returned one. Their CS is terrible and it’s nearly impossible to communicate with anyone besides AI. ...

---------------------------------------------

A deal breaker for me. I thought about trying the new Kara in a 2nd system. When they have Schiit Customer Service, and don’t return emails, [I’ve sent 3], what can we look forward to with customer service later when the Schiit breaks, no thanks.

Their AI engine is Schiit too. Who wants to talk with that, I sure don’t. Waste of time. Makes me appreciate the boutique designer builders even more.

To be fair, their communication, not the service, is the problem. When I ordered the Kara, I never received a shipping notification. It just showed up a week later.

When I requested an RMA for a Lokius, I received it and returned the product. No confirmation of the return or refund, just a charge back on my card. The AI didn't even know that had happened. 

I wouldn't reject their products over that issue. It's in keeping with their generally snark attitude.