Maggies and subwoofer integration

I'm running a Schiit Saga+ into a B@K EX 422 Sonata, into MG-1 maggies. Wanted to add a subwoofer, and was wondering if by just using the second output on the Saga+ to the line level input of the Velodyne Sub I have, would just be adding bass heft to the MG-1's, as there's no built in crossover in the Saga+?

I would optimally want the Sub to takeover from around 60HZ, and aleviate the bass duties of the maggies.

Would it be a waste of time and no real benefit? Would running the signal from the B@K directly to the subwoofer be any different regarding the delineation of the frequency duties?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

noamtasini

I have yet to hear a speaker that doesn't benefit from subwoofers. Subwoofers add width to the soundstage. It's the foundation of the sound for me.

A sub should work out fine once you get it adjusted for the situation.  Every room and setup is different, so you'll want to experiment with placement, gain levels, low pass levels, and polarity.  I'd hesitate to go any higher than 80hz as a low pass set point ...that's about the range where most male vocals start.  The higher you go, the more vocal range that the sub will be covering (usually not ideal), and the easier it will be to locate the sub as a source.  

My subwoofer is set at 50hz to cover just the lowest octave or so.  Its set at very low gain levels, and the polarity is reversed.  It just augments the bass of the main woofers that run ~ 30hz to 80hz...it works really well in my situation.  

I'm running 2 Rel T/7x subs with a pair of 1.7i Maggie's. Both sets of speakers are powered directly from my PS Audio BHK 250 Amp. The RELS are fast enough to keep up with the Maggie's & integrate seamlessly. One sub worked well, but using two made a huge improvement. 

Thanks guys. Definitely a subwoofer adds and enhances the soundstsge. I'll probably set it to 50-60HZ and low gain as possible. Don't want it bloated and boomy. Plus 11x13 room in an apartment.