upgrade player or use modified oppo bdp 105 as transport

New to asking questions but I am looking to replace my "Modwrighted"  (all mods and power supply) Oppo BDP 105 (not 105D) player as I believe there's much better out there these days and I have experienced expensive tube deterioration way in advance of claimed hours. ( leads to bright or harsh sound) (solid state only in the future) Love that it plays and decodes all (SACD,HDCD,CD) (yeah blue ray and DVDA too but I have none)  Was considering using it as a transport to a killer DAC (MQA included) but was under the impression the bdp105 lacks the most effective means of outputting digital info to an outboard DAC.??????  (digital outs listed are "optical" and "coaxial')  Really loved the sound but I think things have improved on the digital frontier over the last 7-plus years.

All input is most welcome. Thanks.

System: Modwright/Oppo BDP 105 as a source

Parasound JC2 Pre amp into a Pass Labs X250.5 amp to Harbeth 30.1 speakers on stands.

Cables. Cardas balanced (xlr)

cymivka

Soix

You are probably correct. The RS2T is driving me crazy. Really think its a mute issue tied to an internal power problem.    Mute button on the remote has never worked. In fact only two or three buttons actually work on the remote.  Just unbelievable.

Eager to try out some other higher end transport.  Not sure about another used digital device.  Maybe from someone I know.  Hans Beekhuyzen reviewed the cd3mk3 at 5k but at the end of the youtube review he said some other transport sounded better but, for the life of me, I could not make out the device that he mentioned.  Anyway.

Happy listening.

FYI, I was having "issues"" on my Audiolab 6000 remote. After a lot of head scratching, the batteries were low. Replaced and all issues went away

I'm going to try a Schiit Urd (arriving today) into a Benchmark DAC3 (arrived yesterday) to replace my heavily modified 105D going into a Primaluna Dialogue Premium integrated driving rebuilt ML SL3s in my 'house' system. With the 105D this system is rather fussy about recordings; sounds amazing with early Fourplay recordings but Pat Metheny recordings of the same era, eh, not so much. I'm hoping the new front end will provide more 'space' between instruments. I'll report back.

trn

Hope you post your impressions on the Urd here. I've been looking into it as a replacement and also the Schiiit dacs.   Like the idea the urd has usb output. My musetec dac is supposedly optimized for usb input. Not a lot of transports have usb interface. Currently using rca/coax transport to dac.  Have not tried AES/EBU as I don't have a good cable or any suitable cable.

Look forward to your input.

Thanks

First, the Schiit is very well-built. The tray is solid, more like my Wadia, not the plastic-y feel of the Oppo 105. The relief for CD placement is a little shallow so you have to feel around a bit to make sure the CD is properly placed - this will take some getting used to. Nice remote (with icons that can only be seen with the help of optical devices) but a nice size and heft otherwise: a solid, brushed aluminum bar (no idea how you replace the battery or batteries in it - no visible openings). The transport itself is a no brainer to operate. Select your input and press play.

So, the set up is the Urd connected to the Benchmark dac3 b via coax (.5m Wireworld Starlight 8), to Primaluna Dialog Premium integrated, to ML SL3s with a Rythmik L12 sub.

My immediate impressions are the soundstage is noticeably bigger and the highs have a lot more space and sparkle compared to the 105D. These are not a subtle differences (and I have very bad hearing from too many years in front of amplifiers). The mid-bass though seems a bit muddled or undefined. For example, with Nathan East signing along with his playing on solos its a little hard to pick up the string attack of the bass from his voice. The 105 presented this better I think. 

Now having said that, I adjusted my sub volume down a bit and cranked up the Primaluna integrated (the wife isn't home at the moment) and, wow, yeah, I can do this! I think I just needed to fill the space; it's a big room, 17x28x10. The sound is concert-like. You can pick who you want to concentrate your listening on in the performance, puts you right their shoes, and you can feel/hear everything they're doing. At lower volume the system sounds small, if you know what I mean.

I can't tell you which component did what to the sound because, in a very poor example of scientific method, a changed multiple variables at the same time. I can only say that the Benchmark and the Schiit play well together in my system- better than Oppo with it's internal dac. It was worth the upgrade.