Started with $1k speakers … what now?

I got into this hobby during Covid, browsing YouTube reviews my first speakers were Polk L100s and Sonus Faber Lumina 1s. Not bad as an entry point, but wondering what would be the next level is where a speaker is built with fewer compromises in the drivers and crossover design.  My hope was that in the $5k range truer “hifi” entry points may be found in a small room system with a REL t5x. My source and amplification is already in the $5k range. 

I visited a hifi store recently but was overwhelmed by the amount of choice and unsure what would be an upgrade based on first listening impressions alone. 

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jdavis234

hilde45 - Good advice, I completely agree. And thanks for the ’insider’ info. I’m going to take a look.

@jdavis234,

Will you be able to attend the AXPONA 2024. That is a great way to experience so many different loudspeakers.

Having owned a Audio store and modding Loudspeaker Xovers for over 20 years 

sadly even at $10k Xovers are average at best , why because of $$ 

less then 50% of the cost goes into the speaker ,R&D overhead and markup 

including all packaging on a $5k speaker maybe $2300 actuall6 goes into a completed speaker ,this is correct .

@hilde45 I just watched your youtube review of the Carbon 7's outstanding job detailed and honest. It's nice when you see/experince an actual human that posts on these forums. What I appreciated most is you've actually had the gear in your home and than one example of the Fritz line. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in depth. I must say truthfully I have a new found respect. Please continue to share video content it is very authentic and informative keep up the good work!