Ribbon cable inside amplifiers

I have been looking inside amplifiers on google images, newbie here…wondering if ribbon cable inside the amplifiers is a cheap way for them to build…I was looking at Pass Labs seem to have a lot of ribbon cables…

silverfoxvtx1800

@donavabdea you have posed this same question on the why cables matter thread and I think in few other places as well. You’re beating a dead horse. The discussion here is ribbon cables. Those are used for non-audio-essential tasks such as control boards and meters. 
What matters is that good designers use good parts in critical places where they matter the most. They also take great care to voice their components to sound their best. I had Rogue preamps and ST100 tube amp that were wired with Cardas wire. That didn’t make Rogue sound better than Audio Research or Pass. It’s a moot point. You’re stuck on something insignificant and…probably time to move on. 

@audphile1 This subject has been a problem for me for literally almost 40 years. It is not true that audio doesn’t follow ribbon cables, it is true that power both AC and DC moves through ribbon cables and board tracers. I have been in the situation of having to stop a company spending 2000 dollars a minute to replace equipment while 150 people and actors making millions go back to their trailers until i’m done because of ribbon cables nearly 100% of the time. My notes here and on other threads are to show that when people can’t see the cables they are made cheep even when your equipment is a 200k piece. The problem with ribbon cables is plentiful the biggest problem is the connector it connects two parts of a system together and that is where movement comes from and because the ribbon cable connectors are all very poor that is where problems are. I’m sure there are electronic techs on this forum that will affirm everything I’m saying.

Cables inside of audiophile units are good cables but they are not an inch think and shielded with five levels of shrink-wrap and fancy colors. Good connectors make much more of a difference ask any professional sound person, there are some on this forum.

Also today audio flows through integrated chips with incredibly small parts, plugins run audio through digital hoola hoops everyday all the time on every piece of music recorded with modern equipment. Chips are the best way to handle audio and the most dependable, why because all you have to do is be careful of the quality of the power supply the chips will always act the same. In the future sound systems will come in a chip and the silly discussions abut audio cables will filially stop. 

to the OP a Pass , Belles or Ayre SS preamp would be on my short list IF i was in your anti tube position….. i do get it….hand off an easy to use system to surviving spouse ( my plan is the NAIM Uniti Atom, which she loves )….

You are in very good hands w Nelson….

by the way a multi layer, heavy curved trace board is WAY better than point to point….unless you like…..noise….

donavabdear

452 posts

In the future sound systems will come in a chip and the silly discussions abut audio cables will filially stop. 

how will the said chip be powered? Solar? Batteries ? A miniature built in nuclear reactor to eliminate the need for a power cord. Will that chip also reproduce music and will render speakers obsolete, thus also eliminating speaker cables?

Just trying to envision such a device…and my imagination is failing me…help me out here…