Anyone with experience having cables made using Amorphous Metals/Alloys

Hello,

I am quite intrigued by the Amorphous metal cables. Since these are very rare (even rarer than OCC cable), I would like to hear about the experience of siomeone who has owned and heard these type of cables for long and obviously how do they compare to regular cable having normal metals like OFC/OCC copper/silver.

Also does anyone know how to/from where to procure such Amorphous (Copper/Silver) wires or even sheets for DIY project?

Regards,

Audio_phool

128x128audio_phool

What is attractive to engineers is finding technology being used to "solve" the cable dilemma. I used single ended, but could not find used XLR, cables 3 years ago and they added some serious soundstage and clarity to the sound. Vastly different system then but I still have the imprint of how nice even the single ended sounded in my system while trying to kill my background noise since I did not have balanced preamp then.

I felt like the Indras were pure as the driven snow and added nothing and took away nothing. But stupid expensive.

@bugredmachine thanks for your reply. It's good to see your response kind of validating my hunt for Amorphous metal. So did you sell the Indra now that you have balanced pre? I know these kind of cables are crazy expensive, something which I will never spend my money on.

Audio_phool

Strange coincidence but a pair of stealth audio indra's just showed up in the classifieds!

5K for a 5m RCA interconnect pair. The same seller is also selling a pair of Sakra interconnects - 5K for a 1.75 m. The Sakra's are Stealth Audio's top of the line cable.

@srinisr saw those listings...too much of money for me to try amorphous metal. Maybe someone else with deeper pocket can snag it.

@audio_phool - RE...

So have you measured the capcitance of same conductor (of same lenght, geometry, width/diameter, thickness) with different dielectric used as insulation material. I thnk thats what is making the audible differences.

Turns out, the Dieletric Constanct (Dk) of the insulation has little to do with the capacitance of the cable. The capacitance of the cable is measured between the signal conductor and the neutal conductor and is governed more by cable geometry, (e.g. number of conductors, space betwen conductors etc...)

• so, the capaciance of the cable can impact sound quality by impacting the magnitude of impacted frequncies within the audble frequency range
    • e.g. more Treble or Middle or Bass
  • whereas the Dielectric Constant of the insulation governs how much noise is generated within the cable itself
    • i.e. as the signal alternates from +ve to -ve, the insulation is charged in one direction and then charged in the other direction. The switching to and fro causes noise that imapcts the signal being conveyed and reduces clarity and details
    • so clarity and details can be improved by using an insulation having a lower Dk value

I have measured the capacitance of my interconnect cable with each change in insulation material and there was little to no change in the value of its capacitance.

• certainly not enoungh to impact treble and bass response
  • But the improvement in clarity and details was easy to discern as the value of DK of the insulation was reduced

Hope that makes sense? - Yep, I also had to research this aspect of cable design because I initially thought the Dk of the insulation on a wire would impact cable capacitance, but my measurements did not support those thoughts.

Regards - Steve