Your greatest high end audio purchase!!!

My audiophile journey has extended to over 40 of adventurous sonic delight. Over the coarse of my over 40 year journey as an audiophile, like so my others, I cycled through a multitude of speakers, amps, cables, etc,. Now that I’m an old guy, I’ve pretty much settled on my "End-Game" audio system for the long haul, primarily because I simply love the way it sounds, and also because, at this juncture, I no longer have the will, nor do I have the desire to continue the crazy (but fun) merry-go-round of audio components in and out like I did in years past (my spouse and my wallet thank me). When I look back on all the high-speed audio gear that I’ve owned down through the years, and after giving it much insightful thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that, after everything was said and done, my beloved Revel Salon 2 speakers were my overall most pleasurable and greatest purchase of all. What was yours?

kennymacc

All of my system is important.  But the component I least want to replace is my Rowland Coherence One Series 2 preamp.  It is the hub of the system.  This past week, I replaced all four preamp modules of the line stage which I hope will extend its useful life beyond my remaining listening years.  

Snell A - II’s in 1982 powered by a pair of Hafler DH - 200’s strapped for mono I built. Got me started on this never ending path.

Basis 2500 Turntable w/ their Vector 4 arm in 2003 w/ a ZYX mc  cartridge & Art Audio Vinyl 1 phono amp. Still have & enjoy the whole set up ( new cartridge & belt).  20 years later still produces a musical source ( w/ good recording in good condition) that is very difficult to top at any cost, analogue or digital.

I live been doing this for over 40 years now. I think if I have to pick just one item, it’s probably my pair of Amber Series 70 amps I bought new. They served me well for many years with a variety of equipment powering first my Large Advents them my Boston Acoustics A400s. I took a long break from HiFi, probably about 20 years. When I decided to get back into it, I fired up the Ambers and to this day they look and sound great, though they’re not currently in use. The Ambers were paired with many preamps over the years, including a Perreaux and a PS Audio IV in the early days and a Luxman tube amp more recently. They were what got me started and I doubt I’ll ever part with them.

Recap: As previously mentioned, my absolutely incredible Revel Salon 2 speakers (which I currently own) is my #1 prized high end audio purchase that I've ever made in all my years as an audiophile.  My #2 greatest purchase, which I currently own, is my Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty DAC/streamer.  Incredible!!!