Help with speaker selection

Hi all,

I’ve considering upgrading from my beloved Aerial 10T’s which will remain in a second system. What I’m looking to improve from the 10T’s is the detail, while maintaining the extreme listenability the Aerials bring (zero harshness). Also I want to improve in the lower mid bass/bass detail. The 10T’s will play low but the detail could be better.

So far I’ve been impressed with the Sonus Faber Olympica Nova V’s. They really impressed me with all of the attributes I’m looking to improve over my Aerials. They had a wonderfully cohesive presentation with detail and no harshness. The bass was outstanding and articulate.

I’ve only begun shopping so I’m looking for other recommendations to consider. I heard the Aerial 7T’s and was not nearly as impressed as I was with the SF’s.

Others on the list that I haven't heard yet include:

Revel Salon2/Studio2

Aerial 20T V2 (impossible to find!)

Amps will be JC1’s, with a solid state front end (Levinson).

Thanks in advance!!

Ag insider logo xs@2xhk_fan

I'd ad Vandersteen Quatros CTs. They're in the 17k range I believe. Vandys are well known for their musicality and listenability but when they add carbon tweeters to a speaker the detail is amazing. They also have room tunable subwoofers built into each speaker to allow you to mitigate room modes some which really helps with bass definition. Take a listen somewhere 

Your JC1 is a musical amp. You do not need musical speakers like sonus Faber it will be too warm unless you bipass Olympics and go to the more hi fi and accurate Serafino.
in your budget I would look at about an 18-20k pair of Vivi Audio Kaya 45. They will open up better and have good synergy. They are also easier to drive and you won’t need JC1 just a JC5+ stereo amp.

If you stick with the JC1 Vandersteen Quattro will be also amazing with that amp. They are phase and time aligned and need a lot of power.

For resale another good speaker is the new 45k Wilson Audio Sasha-V but that might me over your budget. The smaller Wilson’s don’t have the bass.

I re read your OP. @hk_fan I also researched your implied speakers, and I agree with @mikekollar You should research the Legacy Audio Speaker line. Your JC1’s will drive them just fine, Suggest you consider the Focus XD with Wavelett II or if you want to go all out maybe the Aeris. The Wavelett II is the icing on the cake IMHO. This brand flies under the radar to most audiophiles but has many raving fans for those who try them. The attributes you are looking for in your post are up their alley. Revealing, dynamic, bass definition and slam. hey will fill your large space easily. They are made in the USA so the cost of importing from Italy for example is not included in their price, they are a bargain.