High End System Building. How important is the matching, cabling and room? Thoughts ?

The last 20 years as an audiophile and now a dealer has taught me a very important lesson. Everything matters. The equipment can be great but no matter how much you spend the matching is very important. The cabling is also important. Some think cabling is all about making it sound better. I prefer my cabling to not get in the way. It’s like it can’t be a clogged faucet for your sound.  Materials and shielding are very important. In addition to that the room is very important. You may not have a perfect room but you build your system to work in the room you have. I don’t have all the answers but you can’t just spend money and have a great system. Combination of equipment, cabling and room has gotten me there. I’ve tried a lot of gear and cables and this is how I feel. What are your thoughts everyone? 

calvinj

@cleeds can’t argue with you there - I should’ve been more careful about using the term “measures” 😉 - meaning (long-established) analytical measures in an experimental sense.

Some gear measurements, when taken on their own and not corroborated with behavioral analyses (preference evaluations), are less convincing of certain popular inferences than some folks would insist.

A few folks trying out different kit options to see which one sounds “better” in a limited number of setup iterations, and technical measurements on their own, are both partial puzzles at best, experimentally speaking.

@mahgister  , almost everyone who posts here claims to be knowlegeable; however, quite often their opinions appear to me to be 180 degrees out from each other.  Therefore, I will continue to refer to different schools of thought.

@jjss49 man I’m not trying to offend you or anyone. I just have read the responses. Based on the responses. I have strong opinion about how I see things after this discussion. I’m listening. But some of us can’t do jack about the room. I been doing this for a while now after reading the comments. It seemed like your room can fix everything and in my opinion it can’t.  I don’t mean to come off as flippant. I just self sssured after listening to the answers and based on my personal experiences. 

@jjss49 my apologies if I come off a certain way. I enjoy having the conversation. I debate and argue for a living so please forgive me. 

@calvinj

no worries, and not at all offended, was just making an observation, not a criticism

hope you are getting information and interactions you seek

happy new year and happy listening