TV Based System - Hifi vs. Studio Monitors

I am am looking to upgrade the speakers I use for a straightforward 2 channel TV system. Currently I am using the TOSLINK output of the TV into an R2R DAC, which directly feeds a pair of Eve Audio SS207 active monitors. The results are good but not great.  But the results are better than what I used previously, Fyne F 303s. While the Fyne’s were fine for music, I found them lacking with TV programming and movies. I often found the dialog hard to understand. The Eve monitors are much better in this regard. 

I’ve read that studio monitors and hifi speakers are voiced differently, meaning the monitors are designed for neutrality, while hifi is voiced for music. Any truth to this?

Based on my experiences, I am leaning toward a pair of studio monitors in the $3000 range. Genelec, Focal, PMC, Adam and others all make suitable options.

But am I making a mistake by ignoring your typical hifi speakers? If I go this route, the SB Acoustics Satori Rinjani TeXtreme 2.5-Way speaker is of interest.

Any comments on pro vs,  hifi for my needs? Appreciate any feedback.

jwr159

Using the optical connection from the TV to your R2R DAC is a problem from the start, but maybe that’s all you got.  That said, look at ATC speakers as they’ll deliver the midrange clarity you’re looking for in spades.

- Get a Schiit SYN analog preamp processor and plug your R2R dac output into it.

https://www.schiit.com/products/syn

- Get 3 Yamaha HS8 monitors for your front stage (front/center/right), plug it into the SYN

- Get 2 Yamaha HS7 monitors for left surround/right surround

- You should be good to go for music, tv, movies, games, etc...

I agree with Soix. I’ve got an optical connection to an R2R dac to ATC speakers. It works. Most TV is midrange and they excel at that. 

A good measuring speaker is a good measuring speaker regardless of source. If your tv has an eARC enabled HDMI out you can potentially get better sound out of it than toslink. Use what ever speaker you like the look and sound of. 

Thanks to all that have posted.  Over the years, I’ve gone from a 5:2, 5:4:2 and now back to 2 channel for a second/TV system. I found putting your money into a simple but high quality 2 channel system is far more rewarding and better sounding than any surround system

My DAC, by EC Designs located in the Netherlands, works really well for a TV system. This R2R DAC takes only one input, which is Toslink. The serial input is  clocked through a serial-in-parallel-out buffer, resulting little to no jitter according to the designer/manufacturer. 

I’ve now ordered a pair of studio monitors purchased blind. They are an interesting design. Coax, sealed box, a/b amplification, and active crossovers. And I have the option to purchase a pair of matching bass extenders. I’m looking forward to their arrival next week.

Studio monitors for a 2-channel TV based system may not be for everyone. But in my mind, you can’t beat the simplicity, eliminating surround processors, amps, etc. And the purpose built amps and active crossovers that come built in with studio monitors makes them no brainer  for this application.