Anyone receive Focal Utopia speakers with defects?

I recently took delivery on a pair of Focal Utopia Scala speakers. I bought these new from a authorized dealer and have been waiting years to be able to get the chance to own these.

I have had a few pair of speakers from Focal before, mostly Electra line and have been very pleased with the quality, fit and finish. So I figured moving from a $11,000 a pair to a $30,000 a pair of speakers I could only expect that quality to be even better.

the day I received them I had my brother drive a two hours to help me along with my fiancée help unpack. I took every precaution so that these speakers would come out of the boxes as they when in. Luckily everything went as planed and they were unpack without incident.

First off I noticed that they only had a white sock coving then. Now when I looked up pictures I've noticed a clear plastic wrap on the Utpoia line, mine didn't have this. Also noticed I didn't have a blue foam surround on the plinth. This could be that the Scala doesn't come with these as do the higher end models, or that they maybe and early production run? I only say this because of the low serial number. Being that just over 300 (15B0003xx)

Next thing I noticed that they speakers had a white dry powdery substance in the joints and around the speaker input and even on the tweeter metal cross section.

I've since then have gone over the paint and have noticed a lot of blemishes, even chips around the lower speaker input/level control. So far I have four what look to be 2" lines where it looks to me like something rubbed against the speakers. These looked like they can be buffed out and shouldn't be a problem. Also around the speaker input/level control I found three chips in the paint where it looked like it was forced in to it position along with plastic coming up from under this piece as well. Two areas in the metallic flake coat of paint where it was smeared and has no metallic look to it. Then was touched up with black paint and then lacquered. Lastly I have hazy spots where the white sock cover rubbed the lacquer and looks like the speaker has acne. I'm guessing this is why they have the plastic wrap on them now?????

I'm not try to imply anything by this, to my belief they were unopened and were sold to me under truthful means. I really do like these speakers, but just expected so much more from a $30,000 pair of speakers. I am still cleaning what I think is wax out of the joints in the speakers and just unhappy with the over quality. I have contacted Focal and am hoping for a solution to the hazy spots. Maybe they can be buffed out. I'm just waiting to hear from them because I would hate to make them worse.

I am very happy with the sound. I can say they are better than my last pair of 1037be electras as far a sound quality. I am by no means a rich man and it took me a long hard time to aquire these. I am reaching out to see if any other Focal Utopia owner(s) has noticed any of these issues?

Thank you for any information, Jon
yamahafirth
One thing that troubles me about this(actually there are several things that trouble me)is that you mention "cardboard"...I have to believe that these speakers must have originally shipped in wooden crates with a protective mold to insulate the speakers.I have a pair of original design Focal Utopia's from the 90's and they were crated and shipped from France.Two big wooden Crates like a Vampire movie,big as coffins.When I bought these at a bankruptcy auction,bascially new for 6,000.00,they had no defects even though they had been stored for years after little use the condition of the enclosure was darn near pristine.
It is hard to believe that Focal would ship a delicate,expensive speaker in cardboard.Maybe I am missing some new cardboard that superman could not violate?
Another point,and to me this is the biggie on this deal....start negotiating with the seller for a monetary compensation for the speaker damage or they will be returned at his expense.We are talking 5 grand here bare bones compensation,at least,that is where I would start and if it goes nowhere get those speakers ready to go down his throat or up his whatever.If you are not a good negotiator,find someone who is,and get the ball rolling.
You need to get mad behind this and it sounds like you are treating this like a fender bender in a supermarket parking lot.Bottom line,your costly purchase has been greatly devalued right out of the box for ant resale.Go forward with nails out!
I also agree with Henrycai. There is no way these are new and even B stock would be better packed by Focal. They also would not send them out with chipped paint unless this was an "as is" sale. Obviously these speakers have been out of the box before and if you bought them knowing this, you really have no complaint, because you wouldn't have paid retail for these. OTOH, if you bought these as "new" and paid accordingly, these need to go back, regardless of how shiny you can get them. Biggest concern would be resale value, plus you may have some hidden structural integrity issues down the line, depending upon how the paint got chipped, etc. Good luck.
Thanks for the response.

I think these days you have to spend $50,000 to get your speakers delivered in wooden vampire boxes. Lol.

I know Focal do sell "demo" units that have been on display and used for either show purposes or sent out to be reveiwed. I know this because I had a pair of Focal Electras I bought used that were in Stereophile. They listed the serial numbers in the review and matched the pair I had. So it does happen, Focal does sell "open" speakers.

I DID SAY THIS EARLIER, I DID RECEIVE A BIG DISCOUNT on these speakers, not because of them being opened but from being an out going model do to the V2. I guess it didn't charge that the fact they do have defects.
Do you think the discount you got is sufficient to cover both a discontinued model and demo units?

Another way to look at it, if you had bought a pre-owned pair of v1 Scalas in 9/10 or 8.5/10 condition, would you have paid about the same or significantly less?

If about the same, enjoy the speakers. It looks like your buff-out took care of most of it.

Good idea to upgrade your upstream components. As a fellow owner of low cost vintage amps, you can do a lot better than the Forte.

Any chance you'd consider getting a turntable front end?
I have a big discount ----------------

From that you must be start this thread.

And for stereophile Focal delivered speakers with any kind of serial number - it's produced only for test not for the customer. Serial number can be mutch with your speakers - but it's not the same speakers.