Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

+1 for the Audible Illusions, Modulus 3A. I see a couple over on the "other site" for $2K +/- a few bucks. Buy from a reputable dealer. GL

If you want certain sound qualities it's important to pay attention to what the tubes in the unit are. I tried a few 12au7 based preamps and was never satisfied noatter how much rolling I did. When I switched over to a don sachs model 2 that used 6sn7s a light went off. A little bit of warmth but nothing syrupy. Just a very natural sound with great detail. I loved the sachs which was based on the tubes 4 HiFi preamp which is a kit but the guy will build it for you with upgrades available such as better capacitors and such. What I ended up with was a ModWright LS100.tjey can be had used for less than 2500 and my goodness. It's a wonderful sounding preamp. 

The ProJect Pre Box RS2 Digital is a balanced preamp with a selectable tube output (or solid-state if not selected) with multiple selectable filters, a headphone amp, and dual DAC (ESS Sabre Pro 9038). It has a small form factor. New it is a little more than your spending target, used, a little less.

The Schiit Freya+ is a balanced preamp with selectable tube section (giving 12dB gain) that uses 6SN7 and other octal tubes or available solid-state LISST octal modules in its tube section, It has also a buffered solid-state output section and a passive no-gain section. Its form factor is table-top, due to the tubes extending partially out of the metal housing. Price new about $900, used less, excluding LISST or tubes, which are additional.