Ultimate Turntable search...OMA K5 or ?

As the title says, I’m on the hunt for a statement turntable. Don’t really post on the forum so forgive me if this has been discussed already. I’ve been told that whatsbest might be another place to post about this but I’ve been a seller on this site for many years, so I figured it was a good place to start.

I’m a longtime Caliburn owner but it’s time for a change. I would like to ditch the belt drive and vacuum. I know Fremer loves the OMA K3, but the K5 has got my attention. After owning many different speakers, a friend of mine turned me on to OMA. I ended up buying a pair of OMA mini’s about ten years ago and then quickly moved up to the AC-1. I’ve had a wonderful experience dealing with Jonathan and the company and love their aesthetic. With the AC-1s, my main system has reached a level of musicality and presence I never thought possible. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that upgrading my front end is my next big move. So I’ve been doing a ton of research on turntables in this class.

Although I’ve owned OMA speakers for years, I haven’t heard any of their new table designs. Sadly, I have not been to any shows or showrooms since covid. I do plan on visiting OMA sometime in the next few months, but for now, I’m interested if anybody has real life experience with the K3/K5 and if you have listening notes or opinions to share? Also curious to hear thoughts on competive turntables in this class. I have heard many high end tables in person, but definitely not all. Thanks!

mattdrummer

Never heard of AS2000. How long does it take a string drive to bring a 150 lb platter up to speed? I imagine one could have lunch in the interim.

You help the platter with your hand and it takes about 20 seconds.   You can keep it spinning for the rest of the day or four weeks it doesn’t matter.   There is no bearing wear.  

AS-2000 is the real deal. formidable turntable.

heard the AS-1000 myself, not the AS-2000, but almost bought the AS-2000. the AS-1000 was impressive to look at in person. personally I love the look for what that is worth.

As a user of a Log Fire for home heating, I can't recommend cutting up furniture coated with a finishing material to be used as Kindling.

That episode was nearly sixty years ago. The kindling was for an anthracite boiler that heated (poorly) the house and provided hot water.

If it really is up among the very best turntables, then it is rather a bargain at less than $100K. Personally I could not put up with the string, the push start, the waiting. But that’s just my preference.