Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I like Lonnie Smith ...

But i must confess i like too much Hammond organ ...

I dont know why ...

It is illogical ...I could not discover why ...I can even discover many reasons why i must not like it so much ...

But love and reasons dont partake the same house and dont have much to say to each other  save acknowledging each other ...

😊

What strike me when i was 15 years old with the first Hendrix albums  was the complete innovative sound and creative experience as no one ever seen before...No showmanship artificial, just a true guitar poet ...At this time i was listening mostly Bach and Choral music then i was not an easy customer ... 😁

@pjw81563 -Smith's Foxy Lady is terrific. Thanks for sharing!

@mahgister -Love the fat tone of a Hammond B3, also.

Because of the posthumous CD /record releases, I find Hendrix's music inconsistent. Up to Band of Gypsys, when Hendrix is good, he's really good. The guitar solo from "Machine Gun" is incredible.

Speaking of Hammond B3 players, is anyone familiar with Joey DeFrancesco?

On this song, Joey has a wonderful solo starting at 2:52.

And the rest of the musicians are awesome, too!

I’ve had a note laying around that I just found and all it said was “Egil Kapstad”. And when I looked him up, to my pleasant surprise, I found a couple of wonderful albums,  Remembrance, Cherokee and a few not so wonderful albums!  There is one other album I liked, Live At Molde Jazz.  A solo album that’s well recorded.

Thanks i did not know this one...

I had many albums of Joey DeFrancesco ...😁

Not this one ...

I will go for it...

Speaking of Hammond B3 players, is anyone familiar with Joey DeFrancesco?

On this song, Joey has a wonderful solo starting at 2:52.

And the rest of the musicians are awesome, too!