Manley Chinook SE MK2

What phono preamp and how much would it take to better the Manley? I ask mainly because I have one and considering upgrading. I know it's been stated that it takes $5k upwards to better it but curious of some real world experiences.  

Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

There is an easy upgrade to the Chinook, if its output stage is like that of the Steelhead.  Just upgrade the output coupling capacitors, which are mediocre in the Steelhead and way higher in value than they need to be. I have written about this before, so I won't repeat it here. If someone wants to know, I can post a summary here or send the information by PM.

@lewm As your experience of modifying RCA Cables to use KLE RCA's (Hopefully the Harmony Range) has proved to be a satisfying outcome, then my suggestion of attaching a terminated Cable with a Pure Copper Signal Pin on the RCA to a Chassis Mounted RCA connector produced with a Pure Copper contact for the Signal will be agreeable.

Where we are going to differ is the Low Eddy approach.

KLE Harmony as far as I am aware are well known for being a Pure Copper Signal path, but my knowledge a Low Eddy property being attributed to this RCA design is not known to myself.

Advocates I know of KLE Harmony in a previous school of thought are not using the Harmony on their Cables when working with the Low Eddy approach.

Cable Termination and Chassis Mount RCA's are both the same Brand.

To help reinforce the understanding of these individual developed conviction to the Low Eddy Approach and the Low Eddy experience I have experienced. 

The Cables being used are Two Pairs of SEAC SL 5000's.

One Pair with the SAEC selection for a RCA Termination and the other with the exchanged RCA's to a Pure Copper Low Eddy type. For demo' purposes the Low Eddy RCA Cable was used as the Input only (a modified Tonearm with Low Eddy RCA's as the termination for the Wand Wires enabled this). The Power Amp' and other set of SAEC Cables were yet to be set up with the Low Eddy RCA's.

There have been Two Identical Phon's Designs available, both with PC Triple C internal wiring, the only difference being, one has Pure Copper RCA's and the other the Low Eddy Pure Copper RCA's. 

I have made it know how the experience has made an impression on myself, and follow up talks about the impression made on the system owner with the Power Amp and other Cables in use with Low Eddy RCA's has left me knowing this is a path I intend on following.

As stated, to experience as I have, does not cost much if the SAEC Cables are not selected as the Cables for the initial experience to be had.

As for your suggestion about component exchanges within the Chinook, I can't see this being anything but a positive outcome.

As a account of a past experience, I inherited much of the electrical component cost for the Prototype of the Phon' I now own and use as the main Phon'.

The EE, was adamant only matched components were to be used, which proved  not too difficult for resistors in general, the exchanges of certain Brands and Values are not too costly. Extend this to Z Foils and then Copper Foils as Cap's and monies are soon haemorrhaging when the voicing for the Phon' is not being found to suit ones own personal tastes.

My own Bespoke produced Phon' was a Pair of Prototypes for over a year as it went through various Topologies selected by the EE designer/builder. The only differences in the Phons' was my own was a Single Tonearm Input, the other a multiple Tonearm Input. The multi input model eventually ended up in the Spotlight of a well known off Individual based in the UK, with a long history of owning Companies that have been producing Vinyl Replay products. There was a intention prior to Covid to have the multi input model housed in a new casing, and take it to High End Munich to be shown of as the Companies Flagship Phon' with a £10K price tag. This same design as a result of Covid causing delays, evolved further to becoming a design which incorporated the use of bespoke wound interstage Tranx's supplied by Sowter.

The EE, was sure on a few occasions they had nailed the sonic I wanted and had me carry out a 200 mile round trip to receive demo's. There was a period of frustration as each Phon' voicing demo'd, was not endearing myself in a way that I was looking to have as a long time lived with experience, even though the voicing produced was very much aligned to what the EE was believing they was wanting for their own model.

The DIGNA Phon' was used on a few occasions during this build as a gauge of where the Prototype Phon' was heading as a produced sonic.

After a period of quiet on the Phon' Build front, and my having discussed the build s with another well known Valve Phon' producer. I was given a few pointers of how to move the Sonic produced to being the type I may be seeking.

I purchased other Z Foils Resistors of various Values in accordance to the Prototype Phon' designers acceptable Specs', but also purchased Copper Foils to a Spec' recommended, but not wanted as a Spec by the Phon' designer/builder.

My take on the designers reservations was simple, don't use these new components in your own model, put them in the circuit of my own model only.

In less than a few days I received a call informing myself to visit for a Demo' the description being the Copper Foil Cap's now being used had transformed the perception of Transparency. On arrival for the Demo' the Z Foils were also added.

The EE attempted to dupe me by saying we were to demo' his Phon' first, I was immediate in my stating whatever has occurred has been to my Phon' is all I could ask for.

My additional costs incurred to discover this level of performance have been close to £400. That as a cost is extremely acceptable as an increase, when the Phon' is the 'go to the grave with me ' Valve Design. 

The EE after the addition of alternative components was now left with two quite different voicings for the Phon', with my version being their preferred and being referred to as the upgrade version.

I am absolutely sure the Chinook will find a new level, with Low Eddy RCA's in use and careful thought out placement for Cap's and Resistors as a component change.

The overall changes, if the above methods are adopted might accumulate to $600ish though.         

@tablejockey  i did not spring for the T upgrade but once the unit is broken in and i get used to it, I'm sure I'll send it in for the upgrade. From what I'm reading its very noticeable.  In fact, i may call TMR and see if they have one in stock. I wanted black with silver knobs but all they had in stock was the black X model with black knobs. No big deal but if the T upgraded model is in stock with silver knobs then its a no brainer. 

@theflattire I'll keep you posted and how long did it take for the upgrades turnaround?

Pindac, eddy currents and copper vs silver conductor are probably subjects for another thread. 

@lewm As you are very well aware, I share experiences had especially the ones that have been able to have a profound effect during a comparison.

My own system that is not up and running at present and the Systems I get out and share in the experience of hearing in use, are ones that I personally class as being very close to being each owners unique preference and ideal as a produced sonic.

It is very fair to say, that Systems that are performing at the levels I am familiar with are ones built over many many years and the selections made by the owners   have great produced set ups that have notable resolving strengths. Night > Day changes are not to be found in these set ups, a change is reduced to where subtleties are detected as being perceived. Such subtleties can be as simple as a  Veiled/Obscureness on a recording has become less obscure and much more aligned to how one feels the Sound Engineer had intended for its presence. In general the impression being detected is one that comes across as having a furthering of the fidelity that has already proven to be impressive.

I am having this experience laid out for myself on both systems heavily laden with Valve designs and Systems without a Valve in use.

I can happily see a system for myself that is the polar opposite of my my own system that is pretty much all Valve Devices downstream of the TT and CDT and  through to the Speakers.

Over the years I have met numerous owners of Phonostages, who are owners of designs belonging to All Valve, Valve Hybrid and SS. During this period I have also discussed with many individuals either face to face, as well as on a forum as a public discussion or a private discussion, methods being used to upgrade a Phon' and how they felt the changes made were perceived. 

This thread is created by a owner of a Phonostage who has inquired about: 

"What phono preamp and how much would it take to better the Manley? I ask mainly because I have one and considering upgrading. I know it's been stated that it takes $5k upwards to better it but curious of some real world experiences."

My contribution is based on the knowledge that the Phon' in use is a Special Edition made available from Upscale Audio. The Phon' has already been modified,  there is no reason to suggest that ones suggestion that a little more thought and realisation of further modifications will not be a suitable route to consider.

My own suggestions come with a cost and I have made it clear that a outlay of $450ish might be the required budget to be considered. Incremental Spending could prove a lesser spend has been quite sufficient.

I am not one for encouraging an individual to Jump Ship and potentially lose a quick $1500 in the resale. Followed by the need to find another $3K-$4K to not get too further forward with a Sonic being produced.

The OP has made it known their recently purchased Umami Blue is still to be run in, my gut feeling, as a result of knowing what modifications to a Phon' can create, is one where I can see the OP extracting much more to their liking from the Chinook for much less monies than those that will be incurred if Brand Jumping takes place.

For the OP, the Visiting Lurker and the visitor who ends up here resulting from future searches, my suggestions are very relevant within this thread.