Manley Chinook SE MK2

What phono preamp and how much would it take to better the Manley? I ask mainly because I have one and considering upgrading. I know it's been stated that it takes $5k upwards to better it but curious of some real world experiences.  

Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

I cannot be happier with my Icon Audio PS1 MkII, it has made such a big improvement in the vinyl getting its dynamics back especially in the lower highs and midrange. I was in discussions to purchase a Manley Chinook but settled on the Icon Audio instead,  I almost abandoned my analogue side completely and had been concentrating on my digital end, new dac, new CDT, new control application, streaming service, lots of  high resolution digital downloads PCM's and DSD files, you get the idea. Thinking I have all this vinyl and not playing it much anymore.

So if you are still utilizing a low cost phono preamp, an upgrade here could restore your faith in your vinyl. I have since re-invested in my analogue side, including Clear Audio Concept with Satisfy Arm-Turntable, Hana ML-MC cartridge and a Nagoaka MP 500 MM cartridge, to go with the new all tube phono stage and power supply noted above. I am currently rediscovering alot of my vinyl. The vinyl listening sessions have returned and I am loving it!

I am not a big fan of tube phono stages and I had a PH3 SE for decades. There are many SS phono stages that will outperform the Manley. The Sutherland Little Loco and the Channel D Lino C come to mind right off the top. 

@rauliruegas 

should chime in on this one. 

What about adding a SUT? Was recommended by a friend it's a substantial improvement. 

Define “outperform “.

Di you mean”sounds better”, “quieter “, more gain, or what?

By the way, if the Chinook is like the Steelhead, the gain stage is a tube/transistor hybrid cascode and is remarkably quiet with a very wide bandwidth.