What are your exact settings for volume and low pass filter on your SVS sub?

With my ATC SCM40s—passive—I’ve set the volume on my SB3000s at 20 and the low pass filter at 58. The speakers go down to 48hz at -6db.

I have no frame of reference and feel insecure about my selections. It would be great to hear from other people about what works for them, although I know that it’s always apples and oranges because of the room factor, the amp, the different speakers, and all the rest.

128x128m669326

I have dual SB3000 subs paired with my Revel F226BE mains.  My volumes are 13 and LP is 120 to assist with the weak low end of the Revel 6" woofers.  I sometimes temporarily adjust the sub volume according to the source material.  My speakers are close to the rear wall but many feet away from side walls. The subs sit along side the mains and are facing around 45 degrees to the sides to keep the rear wall from acting like a bass resonator.

I have 2) SB4000’s  paired with Wilson Tune-Tots. I have the SVS output levels set at -3, but the whole system is controlled by a XTA DSP unit, using Audiocore software installed on a laptop. Crossover points and volume levels will vary somewhat depending on the recording but with most recordings the low pass is set at 173 Hz and the high pass at 177Hz with the sub output level set at +2.5 dbu and main output set at + 8 dbu.

I also have 2) non SVS subs being used as satellite subs with their output level usually set at + 1.5 dbu and their low pass filter set at 78 Hz.

Original poster here. We're starting to get a lot of variety now. I forgot to mention I have a bright, large, complex room and I listen to a variety of musical genres and route films through my system.

If I turn up the volume past -18 or so, there's way too much bass. If I go the other direction, the difference is more subtle. The helpful guy I talked to at SVS suggested ten Hz over the listed bottom end of my ATCs, even though this was based on -6db. By trial and error, that's what I've ended up with.

My sealed speakers do great bass in my system. They just don't go down as low as some, thus the subs.

First, if you haven’t already, use the “crawl method” to find the best location(s) for the sub(s) in your room for best bass…
https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

Then use this to fine tune your sub’s individual controls…
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-properly-set-your-subwoofers-volume-without-sh-1506136549

Using these techniques should give you a high degree of confidence that your subs are dialed in well. Hope this helps, and best of luck.

I think you have the right idea but beware of using the published specs to determine how low your main speakers actually go.

Try to play a test track with defined frequency levels from Quboz or from wherever and hear how low your speakers will actually perform.

Then, set your sub crossover to enter perhaps a little lower than your main's will actually play.

ozzy