Do I Need a Dedicated Streamer?

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am still unsure of if I need a dedicated streamer and if it would increase the fidelity of my music compared to how I am listening at the moment. Which is using AirPlay 2 from my iPhone to my Hegel H590 Integrated amp.

I know that the DAC in the Hegel H590 is considered quite good and it was one of the reasons that I bought the amplifier to begin with. However, would I get a better input using a dedicated streamer for around $1000 (such as the Cambridge CXNV2 for example) or would I be better off leaving things as is?

I am just not sure if airplaying music to the Hegel is degrading the signal in comparison to a streamer that would pull its own data and send it directly to the amplifier? Also, would improving my router placement and wifi signal make any difference to the sound since my Hegel is hardwired using a mesh wifi system?

I am open to switching streaming platforms if I can gain something out of it such as resolution but I’m not sure if apple music is the issue in any of this.

If the answer to the title is a no. I am curious what I would need to take the quality of my listening experience to the next level or where money would be better spent to achieve that. I do have acoustic panels in my room and have done my fair share of research on speaker placement already.

The only thing that I have been considering in the near-future would have to be the isoacoustics gaia 1 feet.

My equipment:

Hegel H590 Integrated

KEF Reference 5 Meta

Metra Velox Speaker Cables

Thanks for reading.

danb99

Never go wifi over a wired connection. 
Also, have you looked at the specs of AirPlay 2? You are limited to 16/44 which is terrible. Wired there is no audio limits.

I would use airplay 2 for background music only, thru a HomePod. Any better playback system, get off your iPhone, use your personal computer, get Roon or audirvana. 
BTW: the dac in the Hegel is not that good. Their standalone dac is far superior. I used an external dac when I had my hegel

Next step would be to give Roon a try and go from there. Cambridge mxn10 is a very good and high value Roon ready streamer if needed. 

@jsalerno

+1

You can use a WiFi extender plugged in next to your system. Bandwidth requirements are minuscule and a good or outstanding streamer will remove noise and supply superb sound quality. I recommend Aurender.

I have owned PCs, MACs, cheap streamers at levels from $3K to $23K.

For a while I had been streaming Spotify from laptop to Venus2 DAC, then, recently decided to see if dedicated streamer would make substantial difference. I went with Wiim Pro going through the same path and improvement in every aspect is very noticeable, mostly stage much enlarged in all dimensions. If I proceed on a path of going up the ladder of streamers is to be seen, since mostly listening to CDs and LPs. Streaming for finding new music.

This is my experience.

@danb99 ditch airplay it’s not great

as to streamers - cheap ones will most likely not be an improvement. The expensive ones will be a waste of money if you continue to use Hegel’s inbuilt DAC as it will be a bottleneck.
If you’re not looking to spend a lot, try Roon for 30 days free (H590 is roon ready) with either Tidal or Qobuz or better yet both so you can determine what you like best. It’s completely free for the trial period. You can choose to buy a separate streamer later and 1) you will have a good baseline and 2) you will be able to compare.

P.S. Don’t use computer as a streamer via USB. It’s not optimized to serve as a network transport and you will not realize the potential of your gear.