For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

This is from last night’s listening session:

Shadowfax - Watercourse Way / most people think of this band as a ’new age’ band, but their 1st release was pure intense prog. Not new age at all. They only went in the new age direction when they signed with Windham Hill records.

John Abercrombie - Timeless / killer fusion with Jack DeJonnette on drums, and Jan Hammer on keys.

And finally

Charles Wuorinen - Chamber Concerto For Cello & 10 Players (1963) / Ringing Changes, For Percussion Ensemble (1970) / both very uncompromising and ’thorny’ sounding pieces, but great! Not only that, this recording has large, natural sounding, well layered soundstage, with great imaging within the soundstage.

@bslon, agree on wicked gravity-- not to be a downer but i did think the production on the record was kinda flat/compressed, which is really surprising since (i just learned) it was engineered by bob clearmountain, who usually makes things sound huge.

my pick du jour--gillian welch/hell among the yearlings. like navin johnson says in "the jerk", there's something about those songs that depress me...

Evgeny Mravinsky conducts Tchaikovsky

• No. 4 In F Minor, Op.36
  • No. 5 In E Minor, Op. 64
  • No. 6 In B Minor, Op. 74 "Pathétique"

Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra
Deutsche Grammophon 4 LP box reissue 1974