Power conditioners

This had probably been brought up hundreds of times but each one differs. So is the case with me. I’m contemplating of purchasing a power conditioner. Preferably an AQ Niagara 5000 or a Shunyata Denali tower. Here’s what I want to know. I have all dedicated lines with high end outlets and covers. Furutech GTX -D (R) - Oyaide WPC Z2 amd WPC Z. Also all High end power cords. (2)  Shunyata King Coba CX. Shunyata Sigma HC. Shunyata Sigma Digital power cord. Also my equipment is Audio Research Ref 750s mono amps. Audio Research Ref 6se pre amp. Audio Research Ref 9 cdp. McIntosh MQ112 equalizer. Ok. Here’s my question. I’m figuring that it is not a good idea to put anything in the way of the amps. Heard some negative feedback about high end amps and power conditioners. So basically it would just be my sources and pre amp. With that being said would I still benefit from a power conditioner for the pre amp , cdp and equalizer ? Or not since I have all dedicated lines with high end outlets and covers and high end power cords. Thanks to all in advance and happy holidays!! 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

There are a lot of variables in play, so I doubt there are many cold hard absolutes that apply. The wiring to a given outlet, the supplied voltage itself, etc., and perhaps most importantly, the power supply included with any given component. I know that Convergent (CAT) goes to extreme lengths with his power supplies, and recommends against any sort of power conditioner. I’m sure there are other components that would benefit from there use, and others that may not.

Sometimes experimentation is the only way to know for sure, but it’s always good to check with the manufacturers if you can.

@knotscott  Ty. I guess like u said there are many variables. I emailed Audio Research and waiting for them to get back to me with their opinions. Could take some time before I hear back from them. I’m the meantime I was wondering what all you audiophile guys would say about that. I will also report back what Audio Research says about that. Happy holidays!! 

I’ve been reading about this question, too, for years and I share your curiousity.

The wisest response I’ve gotten when I’ve asked the question is: "How bad is your power?" In other words, is there an actual problem you would be curing or are you seeking a solution for a problem which doesn’t exist?

[This is a great response because it helps explain why audiophile's comments about power conditioners/regenerators/etc. are all over the map. Whatever else differs between people's perceptions, it is surely the case that local power conditions -- in a town or county or even particular home -- differ massively.]

My response to this question has always been, "How does one find out how bad their power is? With what measurement tools or local power company information can one determine how noisy their power line is?"

The answer to that question has typically been, "It usually takes professional equipment to determine this."

OP, if you’re the sort of person who only wants to spend money and time on a real and not an imaginary problem, I’d be curious to learn how you solve your own question.

Avoid any "conditioner" that just passes electricity thought and cleans it up with "filters" or strainers.  These are likely to be current limiting.  Rectifying and inverting is the proven way to make perfect power that isn't current limited.  PS Audio pretty much invented this and still is your best choice.

Jerry