Asking for members blessings on Nagaoka MP 300 purchase

I’m a tube guy and always have been. But I have assembled a Naim XS and Harbeth C7 system with a Luxman PD 151. My work schedule gets in the way of my listening, so I use this system more than my tube/horn setup. The cartridge purchase is the final step, and this system is complete. Give me the Jack Nicholson TRUTH ( I can handle it) on your Nagaoka opinions. Lets try and keep the thread to this subject only.

fjn04

I’m currently playing a Harvey Andrews ("Friends of Mine" gatefold, 1973) album through the MP-500 on a Rega RB330 on an Acoustand pod (it’s how I play unknown vinyl to protect more valuable styli). I think my wife brought this album into our joint lives 47 years ago. She denies it, and maybe there is a let out in that it might have come from my brother’s collection (joint with his wife, whose tastes are not mine at all).

Ignoring those details of vinyl sortation, the point for this thread is this: the MP-500 sounds very nice without much attention to VTA. I can change the VTA on that pod with pennies put under its spikes, but have not yet found a need to go there.

I do have a couple of Acoustand pods on the way that include VTA adjustment, and I’ll swap the Rega tonearms onto them, as they have no built-in VTA adjustment, and use the two older pods for SME arms that do allow VTA adjustment.

My only point was i don’t change VTA for every or even any particular LP. But by all means, when installing a cartridge I do set VTA using an LP of average thickness. I set it initially so that the top of the headshell is parallel to the LP surface.  After or during listening that immediately follows, I may adjust further. Usually not, and almost never again after that initial setup. I won’t deny that a secondary reason for not fretting about VTA is based on my own particular character.

I carry the lowly but amazing MP-110 in my mobile setup kit as a just in case cartridge….it probably has 100 k air miles on it w various loaner duty to fellow audiophiles…. Fantastic line of cartridges…. superb value. I’ve had friends switch away from 300/500 into Hana…but probably more for system synergy…

I agree w Lew on getting new 500….