Help me spend $100,000 on a new system

I’ve recently been considering moving and downsizing my home. While exploring how much I might sell my house and land for, I was shocked that I might have an excess of $100,000 after selling and buying a smaller new home with less acreage. I’m 71 years old and can’t take it with me, so I’m trying to figure out how to spend that potential resource.

One possibility would be to purchase a new stereo system with all that cash. I would like to demo a system costing that much to see what sound quality you could get for a stupendous amount like that. But I don’t have any idea what brand/model components to look at. Perhaps you could suggest components you might consider if you were setting up a system at that price point. Also how would you budget the total amount per component including wiring.

I am not interested in adding streaming or anything else I might not already have to the system. I would be open to buying separates to replace any single component such as the integrated amplifier. Maybe a separate DAC, phono stage, preamp etc. Please tell me what you would do.

Following are the components I already have to upgrade. My system consists of Magico A3 speakers, a Luxman 507uX MK2 integrated amp, a Marantz Ruby KI CD/SACD player, A VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Fatboy tonearm and a Lyra Kleos cartridge. Wiring consists of Audioquest Rocket 88 speaker cables, and VPI house brand wires that connect to the tonearm. I forget the brands of the other wires and cables, but they are of similar quality to the above.

I also have a Shunyata Hydra Denali 4000 power conditioner with a Venom power cord (I think) that I will continue to use without upgrading.

I would welcome any of your suggestions and utilize them next time I go up to Washington DC to visit dealer showrooms for demos. Thank you much.

It does sound weird to consider spending that much on a system costing over three times what I paid for my first home, so I hope I’m not sounding uppity here.

Mike

skyscraper

tunefuldude, no where else I can think of.

macg19, will do.

maxwave, my heirs will have to worry about thar eventuality. I plan on using the room ’til I drop. Thanks for the many equipment recommendations. I’ll look into all of them.

garrettc, fortunately I already had a bit stashed for unexpected issues, so this new amount should be free and clear for any use, sensible or not. I’ll look into the Wilson Alexx speakers you mention.

mtbiker29. I do like your recommendation, so you obviously do have good taste. I’ll be checking into all of them. Getting an old Mercedes might be a good idea too, if it turns out the amount of audio improvement is not significant enough to warrant such a huge expenditure.

fritenheimer, Good thought, but after spending a lifetime in psychology related "helping" professions both in and out of Corrections, it’s time to help myself to some fu,n even if its’ on the selfish side. 

kennyc, thank you especially for the DAC recommends. I need to learn more about them. I’ll look up the cable recommends too. I was going to demo some Josehp Audio speakers prior to getting Magico A3’s. But having to go all the way from SW Virginia to Pennsylvania just to find dealer, plus get a demo, seemed prohibitive at the time This time I won’t be so lazy.

inna, I wonder how good the optional DAC and phono stage are on the Gryphon Diablo 333.ntegrated amp. It would be nice to have that all in one package rather than having to waste money on more expensive wires and cables for separates

I’ll read up on your other suggestions too. Thanks again for good advice.

btbluesky, it would be funny to get JBL speakers again. My first decent speakers many years ago were JBL Century 100’s. I’ll add your suggested JBL’s to my list to read up on.

overthemoon. thank you for multiple recommendations. That’s exactly what I’m looking for here. I’ll look into each one.

immatthew, thanks for the links. I’ll check each out.

Again thanks all,

Mike

Have you zeroed in on the actual home you are going to buy? I think you can get a lot of mileage out of a dedicated listening room that you are free to modify. In wall and in ceiling bass traps would be a great way to spend some of that money. 

Mike, Diablo 333 is a new Gryphon integrated. The previous Diablo 300's DAC and phono stage were both considered excellent. Gryphon is really worth auditioning, especially if you like clarity and power. This is a very solid and reputable brand.

So you want to spend a $100K on a new system that will automatically lose half its value? Why not spend $50K upgrade what you have and invest the other $50K into appreciating assets. Or this is just another AudioGon Troll.

I can tell why not. Because the man has a different idea. He invited us to participate in his idea, not to suggest other possible ways of money management.