Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Sorry if I get so intense here. But I’m very very passionate about my approach.

I like passionnate person if they are of good faith and open mind as you are ...

And @mahgister , your aptitude in articulating psycho acoustic theory blows my mind! Indeed there are so interesting folks here!

I am not an acoustician... Just a dude experimenting for an acoustic room designed with no money...But i am fascinated by the relation between physical acoustics, psycho-acoustics and not only music but speech and mathematics ...I advised students on reading as a job 😊 ... I was always more interested by links between fields than by too specialized details ...You cannot advise on reading a mathematics student and a poetry student or a linguistic student without making links between their subject and a question connected to a complete other fields to interest them in a book out of their field to stimulate them ...For a mathematic students for example i can use egyptian mathematic to blew their mind or the Archimedes method or many others questions ...

If you were a student in medecine for example i will recommend to you a book not too far from medecine but out of it, and the book would be so surprizing you will be motivated more and you will fall of your chair reading it born again to medecine ... It could be a book on seeds or why not morphology ... Or a method about observing nature ...Or a book about perception .. etc

Retirement was a punishment for me... And here some pay the price of my isolation ...😊

I have no problem with equalizers for adjusting recordings. And despite the conspiratorial (mis)beliefs of those who deny room acoustics and speak of 'the Room Treatment Cabal', an equalizer can only impact the input into a room, not the acoustical output of the room that we hear. An equalizer cannot fix bad acoustics.

“I also would be willing to bet most studios are using digital equipment at this point. The analog stuff is being or has been phased out except in specialty studios dedicated to analog of which there are a few, not including MoFi😏”

@mijostyn , ALL studios use digital EQ. More for surgical corrections and more in the mixing phase. The mastering stage is where analog EQ really can shine. You read what Watts said. You’ve read what I’ve said. It’s hugely written about online. It’s fact that many mastering engineers prefer the sonics of analog for broad Q tonal sculpting in the final stages of production. And for treble/air sculpting, there are a few standout pieces that are legendary in the treble region. Maag and Charter Oak have been raved about online. You really don’t see such a love like that for different digital platforms. Not for broad Q treble sculpting. Many mastering engineers will use digital to make some of the curves of changes you make but then add the air with the Maag, for example. Probably some of the best recordings involve this approach. These are the kind of things you’ll read if you chose to do so. 

EQ is one thing. Proper room correction is another. I use both in my main system. 

Also I had the smaller Schiit for a minute. It was pretty transparent and subtle. Not sure I’d go $1500 for the expanded version.