Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

@tattooedtrackman Congrats!!  I hadn't seen your system before, but the MQ112 looks very "at home".  I'm a longtime owner of Matrix 801's, and I've never heard the big 800's.  I do however remember being blown away by the big 808's back in 1985.

Most audiophiles have no idea how musical good Hi & Lo shelving EQ can really sound because it's so poorly implemented on most HiFi gear. 

Many years ago I had an NAD C165BEE preamp.  Only $999, entry level hi-end, I realize, but I was shocked at how bad the tone controls sounded.  Every time I turned up Bass or Treble, it instantly called attention to itself, rather than simply being part of the music.  

I have a Manley/Langevin mic-preamp that has Bass & Treble shelfs, each with 2 turnover frequenices that sound amazing.  I'd kill to have THESE tone controls incorporated into a hi-fi preamp.  They gently shape the music without sounding phasey or electronic.  Switchable frequencies is SO important too.  People and/or companies seem to fear knobs and switches these days.  So many preamps today are totally featureless.  I don't get it.  

My name, is Miro.  I'm old, and I like knobs and switches.   

@tlcocks What do u mean how is the 10k treble band. It’s excellent. I wouldn’t want to go any higher with another frequency knob. It’s more than enough. I usually back it off also. 

Miro, I couldn’t agree more with you. Again, we are kindred souls. Totally agree that most audiophiles have NO IDEA how good a quality treble shelf or broad bell can sound. How well it can integrate with the music and not draw attention to itself and truly open up , beatify, and breathe air and life into a flat or dull record on hifi gear. Why do few know this?  It’s because like you said there are so many poor implementations of bass and treble tone control. You have to go out of your way to find it. Which you and I have. And we’re rewarded in spades!

@tattooedtrackman , if that 10K switch is properly implemented you should find benefit out of occasionally boosting it for some records. If you don’t and it’s always flat of cut, then McIntosh didn’t implement it well. Eg too broad a Q hence pulling undesirable frequencies up too, for example. Its center point is too low, so likely tge Q would be narrow and may not sound that natural and good to boost. You never know though. I’ve got a 10K switch in my car stereo that I boost usefully often. I you have hi fi gear, which clearly you do, not sure why you’d ever cut at 10K. Unless a record is unusually bright. I don’t know. Guess I’m a quality bass and treble lover. Adds EXCITEMENT and life. I’m at zero to +3 db for excellent recordings but can be as high as +8 for dull or bass less recordings, usually older.