Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Bingo!

It seems interesting and i like this piece a lot ...

Thanks my friend ...

I will investigate...

😊

@mahgister , you might like this.

https://youtu.be/h9lQUJSCo2E?si=5tTeMPOu3GtEuV-J

@ezwind 

Sonny Rollins Quartet Symphony Hall, Boston 10/19/78

I was never aware of that concert until I read the new Sonny Rollins biography recently.

That concert  was an attempt at by Milestone Records, of whom Rollins, Carter, Tyner and Foster,  were under contract with at the time, to replicate the success of another jazz super group VSOP.

The idea was good but it turned out to be just a one off as Rollins, who was very aloof at times, could not/would not come to a mutual agreement with Milestone, Tyner and Carter to create more concerts and recordings. What as shame as there are some gems on that session.

It was only released and re issued on vinyl LP format and I am very happy the complete concert is on You Tube. I listened to it a few times since I was made aware of its existence and started research it.

@alexatpos 

I’m listening to the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio,  Midnight Sugar and am loving it!

I’m pretty sure you will to. 

Just purchased a very rare OOP Phil Woods CD Live at the Five Spot 1957. The seller is located in NYC so I should have it by this weekend!

It is not on Spotify but maybe you all can check Amazon HD, Tidal and Qobuz. Here is the track list

Cecil Payne, Phil Woods, Frank Socolow, Duke Jordan, Wendell Marshall And Art Taylor – Bird's Night (The Music Of Charlie Parker) (1991, CD) - Discogs

That said, Check out Phil blowin' hot and cool on this live rendition of A Night in Tunisia Paris 1960

Phil Woods Big Band - Blue Note , Paris 1960 '' Steeplechase '' + '' A night in Tunysia '' - YouTube

Phil on playing with Charlie Parker

Mr. Phil Woods on playing with Charlie Parker. - YouTube