Streamer software, what do you use?

I've noticed that pretty powerful PC hardware has been available for the last couple of years for cheap.  Say ~ $300 for a little desktop cube with 8 cores, 8 GBytes of RAM and plenty of storage.   You can run Windows or Linux (yeay!) and therefore I imagine just about any choice of software.

For Roon users this is a real boon as we can combine the core and streamer into a single device for far less than dedicated audiophile branded streamers.  I'm curious though what other software A'goners use?  The main requirement, IMHO is that it support remote control via tablets.  What do you use?

Do you use an outboard linear power supply or other tweak to improve the performance?

https://amzn.to/3QzOg6x

erik_squires

@erik_squires 

I meant to talk about software that was at least a little independent from hardware

That was clear to me. The Ideon s/ware I use is running on my own h/ware -- an ancient, fanless, Mini X pc -- not one of their own streamers (which are excellent, by the way, and on my shortlist when I can afford more upgrades!) Regards

Here, a Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet including a dedicated Samsung Docking Station. As software USB Audio Player Pro. This to stream Quobuz (access via Audio Player Pro) and listen to locally stored music (on a micro SDHC card). Via USB A to B (Audio Class 2.0) into Marantz 8005 DAC or DAC in the Cambridge AVR 751r or DAC in the Vincent SV-500 amp (depending with with rig I want to listen to music).

Big advantage for me with above solution: No additonal control required for streaming. Everything is done with the tablet lying on a small table next to the listening chair. Very convenient.

Alternativelly my DAP players whith above software (line in into the amps or via SPDIF into the DACs). In this case, reading glasses are a must for me 😏

I do not feel that I would need any tweaking. I’m happy with what I’m hearing.

--Well I meant to talk about software that was at least a little independent from hardware--

Erik, 

I'm having good results with Audirvāna which manages streams from Qboz, Tidal, and my own library into essentially my Ayre Acoustics DAC and amplification.  Listening sessions are easily managed via the remote app on iPad.

ROON, via Small Green Computer sonictransporter server and a Sonore microRendu (which will get upgraded to an optical Rendu maybe).  Are there streamers with their own OS that sound better than Roon, like the $20k Aurenders and others? Maybe. I am committed to Roon, which has allowed me to discover so much music in the last 2 years that I am still astonished. It's like adding Wikipedia to Tidal (or Qobuz). The interface of Roon is so powerful and easy to use. I just bought the lifetime subscription to Roon, which imo is a bargain.