Anyone else using slugs instead of fuses? Comments on metals used and sound please

I recently began experimenting with slugs in place of fuses on most of my components and the results have been VERY rewarding. I'll write up a full review eventually but am awaiting possible different metal slugs in the near future.  I started with copper and the improvement from stock fuses to the copper slugs was quite noticeable but, honestly, nothing compared to the upgrade from copper to solid silver slugs from Golden State Silver and, shockingly, titanium slugs.  Can anyone comment on their DIRECT experience(s) with slugs other than copper?   I'm looking into tungsten and possibly molybdenum presently.  I'd love to try platinum or palladium but that's probably beyond my reach.  AND PLEASE, THERE'S NO NEED TO COMMENT ON HOW FOOLISH IT IS TO BYPASS THE FUSE WITH SLUGS-----WE ALREADY KNOW---YOU'VE TOLD US EXHAUSTIVELY.

lcherepkai

I'm really not fond of the copper slugs at all.   I thought them an improvement over the stock fuses but it's the silver and surprisingly, titanium slugs that really transformed my system.  A quick story about this:  my amp is a Red Dragon S-500.  I have been using a single one in stereo mode for a few years now and recently acquired another at a shockingly low price.  Upon arrival, I swapped it out with my original one to test and make sure it was working and sounding as it should given the exceptionally low price.  Immediately I noticed something quite wrong and thought the amp wasn't working correctly.  Everything sounded a bit opaque, and the highs were rolled off.  Honestly, I was about to shoot the seller a probably beligerent email about the damaged amp when I remembered that the original Red Dragon was fitted with one of the solid silver slugs.  I pulled the fuse tray out and installed a silver slug and PRESTO!!!!  All was back to normal.  That's the kind of improvement I get with the silver and titanium slugs.  Of course, your system needs to be adequately resolving to get similar results, I would assume. Check with Golden State Silver for the silver slugs, less than $50 for 2.  I really can't imagine as significant an improvement for what would be such a minimal investment.

Post removed 

We all know that this can be dangerous, bypassing the component fuses, and, as adults, we will make our own decisions.

I fully agree!  Does your landlord know what you are doing so they can make their own decision about your continued tenancy?

@jacobsdad2000 Fuses limit power changes since they must have a small resistance.  This generally isn't a problem is the load is fixed.  So I'm not very concerned about fuses in the DAC.

I would be concerned about that many fuses in a tube amp.   I wouldn't be happy because thes fuses are likely limiting my dynamic response.  

There are some exceptions.  Fuses on the heater circuit don't generally affect sound so if you've got fuses on your heater circuits and avoided a fuse to the power circuit, then kudos to the engineers.  If the fuses are in the signal path to protect the output transformers, that's the worst place for a fuse.  

I also say the fuses were not put there by the engineers, they were requested by the bean counters after an expensive warranty repair came in.  And the repair was almost certainly caused by operator error--putting the wrong tubes in for example. 

There is a reason that audiophile fuses are selling like hotcakes.  Asking about fuses in the design before buying an amp will become a thing as buyers become more aware.

Jerry

I really like reading all of these comments. Not because any of the comments will get me to try the different replacement ideas but for human psychological reasons.

I enjoy that there are individuals who have to see what will happen if they do x, y, or z no matter what warnings have been given.  The results are always in one of 3 categories: 1) Nothing happens good or bad, 2) Something good and or new is discovered, or 3) Something bad happens. This need for discovery is what makes us humans. I was one of these people during my first 50 years.  It is what made me happy and financially successful.

It is also interesting that so many have to respond in the negative when they are completely aware that they are not telling us anything that we already do not know or anything that we want to hear, again

Aren't people just amazing?