Theta/Spectra/Avalon - system revamp advice needed

Because of my living situation I was forced to place my system (Spectral DMA180.1 & DMC-30, Avalon Radian HC, MIT 850(?) tri-wire, Theta DSPro Gen Va) in storage 7+ years ago and live with a very, very modest system. Listening is 100% CDs: jazz, rock/pop, folk, blues, a little classical here and there. New listing room is 20x20 w/high ceiling and very live.

I've been out of touch with the audiophile hobby for 10+ years, so I'm not up on the latest and greatest. Pretty much always stuck with buying used to stretch my $. Never felt I needed to have the latest equipment (still don't), just go for great stuff and usually stick with it for a while. Think I want to stick with the Radians and the DMA180.

Do you guys suggest I:

- stick with what I have and simply add a transport or CD player w/digital out? If so, recommendations? My budget is $1000.

- sell the Theta DAC & Spectral preamp and upgrade to a DSPre Gen VIII/preamp w/transport?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Gary
schotbus
Hello Drjoe,
Briefly, for the moment, the only upgrade I'd suggest to the equipment you described is the digital front end;
Major improvements in the past 8 years.
Your Spectral gear with the MIT 850 can still produce truly exceptional sound. I will write again tomorrow. Don't rush things, you have a wonderful setup.
Hello Gary,

I know you didn't mention it, but have you thought about going up a step with your speakers? I went from the Radian H.C. to the Eidolon and then to the Eidolon Diamond.

IMO each step was a significant improvement. If you could swing a used pair of Diamonds I think you would be ecstatic! Whatever you decide good luck.....

Enjoy,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Something to think about for the future, but there's no way I can swing a speaker upgrade now. I'm thinking basics. A transport first, maybe some cables, definitely some room treatments...

Thanks,
Gary
Dear Gary,
Getting to your question of 12/4 -- I can't argue with your logic; I have a Theta Gen8 driving my Portal Paladin monos. BUT -- one of the strong points of the Gen8 is its balanced output; one the strong points of the Spectral amp is its RCA input -- not an ideal situation. ALSO, if you go to the Theta without a preamp, you will have several digital inputs, but only ONE analog input.
Hope this helps.