W4S DAC

There's always a lot of talk about DACs with most revolving around names like Denefrips, Gustard, T&A, Weiss, Border Patrol and many others, but I see no mention of the Wyred 4 Sound DAC and in particular the 10th anniversary edition. Even a quick search of the forum doesn't bring much up in the last couple of years.

It is competitively priced, made in the USA and it was well reviewed at the time (2018)

Has anyone compared this DAC to the newer ones most that are most mentioned here? Maybe technology has surpassed a DAC that is now 5 years past its prime?

128x128navyachts

@jsalerno277 Thanks for the detailed response. Nice system, by the way!

@laps Sweet, thanks for sharing!

I am pretty content with my Ares2. I tend

to look for upgrades that will make my 

entire system shine. I am running a Cambridge 

transport, CJ tube pre, Classe amp, and Thiel 

cs2 speakers. My most recent sparkling addition 

was a pair of Anti-cable ref 3 speaker wires.

suggestions welcome.

I have the W4S 10th anniversary DAC, one of the reviewers put it up against his VPI turntable with a $5,000 Japanese cartridge and he said it was every bit as analog sounding, on that review I bought it because it also had a 30-day trial period and I can tell you this it is extremely analog sounding and when it can go Head to Head with DACs that cost three to five times more that saying a lot to me and it also depends on your associated equipment and wiring as well, I only use rectangular OCC single crystal wire throughout my whole system cuz I found it to be the best wire for audio on the market even far superior to the round OCC and even more superior to anything OFC at any price and my associated equipment is very high in as well I use a sim audio p8 preamp and a sim audio w8 amp which I will be soon upgrading to the new 861 amp, I put this DAC up against the SIM audio $15,000 DAC and it was far superior, and if you read the reviews it's gone up against many DAC's double and triple the price and beaten them, I think this is one of those giant killers that doesn't get enough press.

@navyachts 

I hope you picked this up in viewing my system and I should have mentioned I use the 10th with the Wyred USB ISO and DC Recovery products.   The reclocking USB and DC filters further increase performance by lowering jitter further removing digital glare, lowering noise floor providing better retrieval of secondary harmonics and decay as well as imaging and staging, and more liquidity.  Ditch the supplied pig tail USB and wall wart and use you favorite cable and after market switching or linear 5V DC supply.  I found the improvement notable.  I did not do the head to head comparison with the 2 Recovery in line.  Should have. Of course there are better reclockers and linear power supplies but this was an improvement at a reasonable spend.  Recommended.