Class D amplifiers. What's the future look like?

I have a number of amplifiers: Luxman C900U, Bryston 4BSST2, Audio Research VSI 60 Integrated, NAD C298 and some other less noteworthy units. As I swap them in and out of my main system, I've come to the conclusion my very modest NAD C298 is about all I really need. Granted if I had extremely hard to drive speakers, I might be better with the Bryston or Luxman, but driving my Harbeth 40.2 speakers, the NAD is just fine. 

I thought a while ago that class D would quickly overtake amplifier design type mainly due to profit margin which I think would be much greater than A/B and tube. I'm not saying the other design styles would go away, just that D would be the most common style. 

Clearly my prediction is not panning out, at least in the mid and high-end audio world and I'm wondering why? It seems companies such as Bryston, Luxman, McIntosh, Hegel and so many others are sticking by A/B. I'm no "golden ears" guy, but is the perceived sound issue(weather real or imaginary) still holding D back? Maybe my assumption of profit margin is not correct? Maybe the amplifier manufacturers are experimenting with D, but keeping tight lipped until release? Perhaps brand loyalists don't want change similar to what happened with "new coke". What else am I missing?

128x12861falcon

Given the filters and phase shift, does class d design lend itself to mathematical modeling?

Yes. Like anything else though it depends on the quality of your models.

@fleschler Wrote:

As well as other new applications of technology such as Westminster Labs sliding bias voltage Class A cool running higher power solid state amps?

If it runs cool, it's not true class A. Also, Krell had sustained plateau sliding bias amps in 1992.

Mike

Best class D I have heard is Lyngdorf. Not saying much as I haven’t heard a lot of class D but 5 or 6 but no “high end” class d. The Lyngdorf sounds the best out of the bunch I’ve heard without room correction, but with room correction it makes a world of difference, much more so than any small amplifier differences IMHO. Guess where I’m going is I don’t think class D is the future but dsp whether the final output to the speakers is class D, A, AB, H or what have you. 

"Digital" amplification will eventually dominate both mass market and hi-fi, not that there won't still be products available with traditional topologies. In many respects, this has already happened in the "lifestyle" market at every level, from inexpensive wi-fi active speakers to high-end home hi-fi systems to professional gear. Bang and Olufsen, Devialet, Linn, Peachtree, Bluesound, Technics, Sonos, Genelec, Dutch & Dutch, Avantgarde Acoustics and many other companies are already there. With better performance, the high-efficiency (read: low energy cost) of the digital topologies have a compelling feature set. For those who want tube sound, preamps are already available that deliver that aesthetic that pair well with digital and GaN amps.

Class D is not digital, per se. Some manufacturers push the envelope though.

Class D is switching, but there’s no analog to digital/digital to analog process involved. It’s all done with feedback. :)

My guess however is that if we include all speaker amplifiers including those used in telephones and TVs and cars and portable Bluetooth speakers and your various talking devices out there that Class D accounts for more than 99% of all amplifiers made today. We in this forum are probably less than 0.1% of the remaining 1%.