Used MF Trivista 21 or Benchmark Dac1?

I'm looking for a new Dac in the $1000 range, and am wondering if it makes sense to go with a slightly older Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 or a Benchmark Dac1 or a PS Audio Digital Link III or a Bel Canto Dac3 (if I decide to spend even more). What's the downside of the Musical Fidelity? My system is all Krell, so I am thinking the tubes in the MF might soften it a little, though I have read the PS Audio Digital Link III may also be a good choice. Any thoughts?
mainer8
No , I don't think they will. My 21 sounds a little brighter than my all transistor Audio Synthesis DAX. Not unpleasant, just more detailed. The 21 is still a top decoder and very well built. It has the potential to be modified into an even higher performing component ; there are companies here and in England doing this. I will probably get it done someday but it is great as it is. I would always go for used as you are getting a better product for the same money.
I just asked myself the same question, and ended up getting the Trivista 21. Part of my thinking is that it seems more likely to hold its value IMO. MF has a good rep over a long period of time, and Benchmark seems to be more of a "flavor of the year". The Benchmarks are getting dumped in large numbers here, probably because some want it with the USB output.

First impressions of the Trivista 21. Built like a tank with exceptional fit and finish. Sounds much better than modded Sony NS500DVD Universal player w/o the dac(as you'd expect!). On my rig 192k sampling sounds much better than 96k, and this contradicts other comments that I've read here. For my ears(& some friends), 96k sounds a bit hotter than should be in the treble, while 192k sounds more naturally balanced while giving up a tad of high freq energy. The tubes don't give it a very tubey sound, like you might associate w/older tube power amps,etc, so it's hard to say if that will tone down the Krells, but overall the sound is pretty smooth, so I think it'd be fine. Probably so would the Benchmark or the BelCanto.
FWIW, Using a Sterevox XV2 dig cable here, based on widespread recommendations, couple w/my lack of dig cable experience.
Sorry to sound inconclusive, but I haven't compared side-to-side, and don't want to give you any definitive proclamation. Cheers,
Spencer
Thanks for the feedback - I'm a sucker for the heavy, substantial seeming pieces, so I may go with the TriVista. So many choices...
There exists an Audiogon review of the Tri Vista, with comparisons to the Benchmark Dac1. Sometimes the A'gon search engine can't find it, so just Google "Tri Vista 21".

Incidently, I just purchased a dac21 modded by Parts Connexion in Quebec(Canada).

It's astounding. Far superior to the A308 I was using previously.
In particular, a very wide soundstage, increased space/air between instruments and singers, deeper bass and very natural highs.
Strangly, I hear more detail even though it's more laid back overall than the A308.

In short, it's taken my system to a level I didn't think it was capable of.