Two questions to make you mad.

#1 Why is it that the worlds most sophisticated and accurate machine the (ASML) TWINSCAN NXE:3600D doesn’t use special AC or signal cables to make 3nm semiconductors. Audiophiles need special cables for accuracy?

#2 Why is it that you can always tell when a piano is playing live, or even an electric guitar is playing live 2 houses away directly into an amp through walls and windows?

In the 1960s Electro Voice announced that their speakers could reproduce exactly accurate sounds, many believed them.

We are fooling ourselves, our hobby is full of lies and we can’t even face facts.

128x128donavabdear

Then he might have changed his name to JJ Cable. (sorry)

i don’t think JJ Cale had great cables…but i often wonder…. what IF he had ?…..

@tomic601 I read the PR. Now to read around the subject of QC. Congratulations. Impressive. #dirac

@donavabdear 

Any piece of equipment with a well designed power supply only requires a power cable that can handle the current load. Increasing the gauge beyond that makes no difference. Dressing up the cable in a sock and adding good looking terminations and psychologically the system will sound better. Vision and hearing are hopelessly interconnected.  

Having said that I stumbled into an exception. A friend related that he heard a cable make Sound Labs speakers sound better. He brought a pair to my house and in deed the cables actually worked. I ABed myself to death and sure enough fine details were more audible. On Waltz for Debby with the stock power cords the crowd noise in the background was audible but the speech was indeterminate. With the new cords I could clearly understand most of the background talk. The cord powers the very low tech high voltage power supply to the diaphragm. The power cord has some sort of filter in it. My guess is that noise in the AC is somehow interacting with the diaphragm to lower the signal to noise ratio. The speakers are powered indefinitely and at rest they are dead silent. The filter must be removing this noise that obviously is interacting with the audio signal. 

This is an exception as the AC is being converted, amplified, to 5000 volts DC by a very basic power supply which is not regulated in any way. My guess is that the DC is being modulated by the "noise" and you would only notice this when a signal is applied to the speaker. 

@mijostyn 

One of the reasons I'm not a big cable guy is because good equipment should have a good power supply, and audio equipment uses DC at low voltages so I've never understood pre transformer and pre voltage regulation in the last 6 feet before the AC connection. I've got about 32k$ in power components alone not counting AC cables so I believe in clean power. I started in live sound and there are often power problems even in bigger venues, to fix power problems you need to fix or isolate the main transformers which is always expensive. I worked at a church that put in a big sound system and really did it right they spent money on isolated power transformers for the sound system, it was an analog system with about 200 channels for the orchestra. It was easy to mix but there was always more to do on every mix meaning it was so quiet that you could obsess about EQing the 2nd viola or French horn section and not ever get the mix you wanted. It's just like when we went to HD video in a the film industry when we stoped using film all of a sudden the makeup people were really extra worried about tiny little makeup details on the actors that were never seen on film cameras in the past. A blacker background is not always a good idea, makeup is a filter used in Hollywood to make homely people into beautiful movie stars.