Review of TEAC NT-505

I purchased the NT-505 about two weeks ago and just posted a review in the Members Review forum if anyone is interested.
http://https//forum.audiogon.com/discussions/teac-nt-505-functional-review
128x1281extreme

I have also been researching streamer/DACs for a second system but have become very suspicious of the "flavor of the month" DACs that keep popping up. They all seem to follow a pattern. Made in Asia. Well known audio reviewers all start reviewing them at the same time on their YouTube channels. Lengthy and professionally written forum posts and online reviews all with glowing reviews. All over the top descriptions of why the DACs are the best in class. Never mind that they just said the same thing about another DAC last month. Not one has a negative criticism about anything. Then the next month they all seem to move on to the next DAC like a coordinated pack. So unless you really know and trust the source, take all reviews with a huge lump of salt.

I was lucky enough to purchase a NT-505 for $500 off Craigslist with the intent of doing a quick flip to help save for a future purchase. Instead, I’ve decided to keep the Teac and sell my current all-in-one NAD. This NT-505 is such a sleeper of a DAC/renderer while playing into my sound preferences - somewhat reminding me of my old MHDT Paridisea, but with greater bass and soundstage height, and not as “rounded.” Great thread and spot-on, OP. 

@toro3 You got a great deal at $500 especially if the ethernet connection works because that is the achilles heel / point of failure of many TN-505’s including mine. If that happens you have to use an external streamer. I use a Bluesound. Check the version number in your menu and verify you have the latest firmware version 1.53. If not you can go to the TEAC international web site to download and install it.

The NT-505 has the AKM VERITA  AK4497 dac chip. I love the AKM sound. Very natural. The newer NT-505-X has an ESS chip.

I’m about two updates behind, but it’s looking I may need to use my spouse’s PC to run the update. The Ethernet connection is solid, but was aware this was an issue with this model. My plan is to ultimately obtain a used OpticalRendu, so not too concerned if the Ethernet network port ultimately fails.

Currently using this as a preamp and Roon endpoint, which has worked out flawlessly so far. Short delay with 4X upsampling is perhaps my favorite. 512 dsd is my second favorite depending on the type of music and mood.

I’m really unsure what to believe in life, but I’d like to think there’s principles of balance within the universe. About a month prior I had sold speakers on CL at a significant price reduction only to find out that some of the cash was counterfeit. Two weeks later I was able to obtain this unit in pristine condition from an extremely nice gentleman. Again, probably coincidence, but I’d like to think it’s something more than that :)

Wonderful sounding DAC - made me realize how much I disliked my previous all-in-one.