What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
You can do USB cheap, but it sounds it. The Hagerman device does the job but does not sound good. I'm looking for USB playback that equals or beats transport to DAC. Obviously, Ckorody and I disagree.

The Bel Canto device is available but is not on the Web site. Contact them or a BC dealer.
Well drubin - I don't know - I am not flogging the Hagerman (always upfront about what I have owned or tried) just trying to provide some historical context.

If you have spent the time and money messing with two box systems you know just how hard it is to achieve a satisfactory SPDIF implementation.

That is the main reason I recommend bailing on a USB > SPDIF solution and going straight USB. Plus going direct is much more cost effective which is a major concern for the Prof who started this thread.

I doubt that you will argue that you can get a great two box solution for $350... the SPDIF cable will cost more then that... I am prepared to say that he can get a great direct USB solution for that. (No, not reference but that is a silly game since he is not in that market)

Prof - Pacific imports some very slick gear from China (not Taiwan)

Scott Nixon was the first guy in the water with a tube dac which has had the dual virtues of being well regarded and very reasonably priced. Plus there are enough of them out there that you can probably pick one up used - and you can definitely sell it when you want to try something else.
As Steve would point out products like the BC Thingee, and HagUSB use the same PCM2704 USB chip already used in many consumer DACs. So the benefit of one of these would be negated. That's where the Bel Canto converter box is superior... not quite to the Empirical level but an improvement over the common units.

I believe the old Waveterminal U24 used the TAS1020A chip, though details are sketchy. A newer version is available as well, though again details are lacking. It's closer to $200.

Scott Nixon's site indicates that he is in the process of revamping his USB line. I dropped him a line to see if he has anything in my price range.

I agree that I won't be able to afford true audiophile equipment in my range. Given that money is a real concern, I'm looking for that sweet spot of intersection between price and value. I purchased by Musical Fidelity B1 for about $200, and while it isn't perfect, it is awfully good value. My speakers ran about $600. As such, they have many, many shortcomings, but for the price they aren't bad.

Given that the interest in USB DACs is relatively new, I wonder if the next year or so will bring reasonably good budget audiophile products to the market. I am heartened by the enthusiastic reviews of the Vintage Audio Labs, the Keyes, and the Giga Labs Moon DAC.

I was mentioning the Pacific Valve Company as they have a US-based operation out of Chicago. Perhaps that might have quality control / customer service implications?

Best,

MP

Given that the interest in USB DACs is relatively new, I wonder if the next year or so will bring reasonably good budget audiophile products to the market.
I think there's a decent likelihood of that. But as Musicman suggested, the more expensive chipset seems to be a key ingredient, as does some firmware that has to be licensed. Both of these imply steeper price points. Take my comments with a grain of salt, they're just my impressions based on investigating this topic for the past few months.