If you were serious about sound you would...

If your audiophile quest is to get the best sound then buy the best equipment used to make the recordings originally. One of the few things nearly every audiophile agrees about is that you can't make the signal better than the original. So:

Solid State Logic 2 channels preamp 5k$
Meyer Sound Bluehorn powered speakers 2x 140K$
Pro Tools MTRX system 10k$
Mac Studio Computer 8k$
Total about 170k$ 
How is it possible to get better sound than the best recording studio gear? 

128x128donavabdear

So you finally get a chance to produce your first album. You use a great studio with top mixers and you hire musicians you can't really afford, you go through problems with temp vocals drummers and bass players not understanding what the songs are all about, you have scheduling problems with musicians availability, some don't like the food you have in the green room next to the studio, your wife doesn't understand why you mortgaged the house your families future to do this project. Then after the extra loan from the bank and the emergency credit cards, you finished tracking, you cut extra parts you ended up not using (dear god why did I do that), editing, mixing buying extra time at the studio  then mastering you invite your closest friends to listen to your dreams in the control room. You are at a moment of complete vulnerability you push the play button on the mixer. Then slowly you notice the slow smiles and even a tear coming from your crusty oldest friend. 

This story is common and and is why music is so emotionally moving people give their all for projects like albums and movies. The only way you are ensured that your audience will see what your best work is to see it in the room you mixed it. I can't tell you how many times a director has been distraught about satellite compression or out of spec theater equipment. If you had studio equipment in your home you could see and hear the artists and directors vision.

If you have a playback system at home that is built on personal preferences you have no way of knowing if what you are listening to or watching is even close to the effort the artist or film maker put into the project. If you were serious about sound you would use professional equipment for playback.

Thanks for your interesting story...It is moving and well written...

I dont get it though  if we speak about jazz and classical...

I am serious about sound...

But i have read about acoustic and i experimented with it...

You want to make your work known as a studio sound designer and i understand that...😊

But listening japan koto, or religious russian music or Bach organ i dont need professional mix engineer equipment at all...Neither for jazz..

Basic good gear well embedded mechanically electrically and acoustically is enough for any music serious appreciation ..

Am i wrong because i dont buy the gear suggested to listen to some designer creation ?

What about the other designer creations on completely different gear in their own studio ? 😊

I dont understand your thread it seems...Nor irony... I am french speaking and dont always catch the implicit humor in meaning and the implicit meaning behind humor ...

@donavabdear I apologize for my earlier post.  I should have looked at your system before writing for you are clearly a serious music/equipment person.  That said, I don't think most audiophiles are looking to recreate what is heard by the artist at final mixdown or at the mastering stage.  You can argue that should be their goal, but unless you were in the room at the time you really don't know what it's supposed to sound like.  As a practical matter the best most can do is make the majority of their music collection sound good to them.  It's imperfect, but can work out quite well for most experienced audiophiles.

@donavabdear

Your theory makes no sense even after all of your explanations, because there are many different brands of speakers and amps etc. used in studios, and of course they will all sound different, therefore, the music when played back in the home will sound no more accurate when played back on studio gear unless it’s the exact same gear used to make that particular recording, and even then, I’m not convinced of the validity of your idea.

Since you make recordings, you obviously have a bias in favor of studio gear, and that’s fine, but t’s just another version of sound, not the most correct.

@mahgister Jazz is some of the most heavily processed music, well modern jazz is real jazz was done before about 1970, that surprises many people but listen to new jazz or smooth jazz it is consistently the best recorded music there is the people who make it are the best musicians producers and engineers another genera of music that always sound super polished is new country if smooth jazz or new country wasn't recorded well it wouldn't match the rest of the music and wouldn't be popular. There are a boat load of awful classical recordings awful blues and bluegrass recordings they have the advantage of sounding however the producer wants with smooth jazz for instance the songs are very expensive because polish is not cheep. 

@onhwy61 Wow what a kind thing to say, and yes the systems I think most people have in this group are probably better (more expensive) than the recording studios. So what am I talking about, it's in the word sound not music sound is a wave it should be reproduced as accurately as possible in a satellite link system to be distributed to networks the sound should be most accurately reproduced at a movie theater (theaters are way ahead as far as specs and accuracy) but personal systems are all over the place and audiophiles have no right to pretend they are reproducing anything accurate with the extreme amount of variety in a normal 50k to 500k $ audiophile system. It's a preference system not an accurate playback system. 

@roxy54 You said my theory exactly and perfectly audiophile systems have no baseline there is no standard and all the equipment manufacturing magazine adds about faithful reproduction are BS because there is no standard. I really appreciate audiophiles and I understand, my main system is wonderful and I love the way it sounds but my professional system in the same room 90 degrees apart is much more accurate and it's not nearly as enjoyable I don't listen to it half as much, but I am serious about sound and I don't fool myself saying my bigger and more expensive speakers and amps are more accurate they aren't by a long shot but my main system is about twice as expensive as my professional system and it's a lot prettier and funner to play for my friends.