Rain-X as CD Enhancement Treatment

I have used the Auric Illuminator treatment on my CD collection for several years now. I am a believer in the AI, and repeated A/B tests of identical treated/untreated CDs bore out significant improvements after treatment with AI.

I ran out of the fluid and my marker dried out, so I was searching for mew treatments on the market before buying another AI kit or choosing something new. That's when I ran across this article by Greg Weaver at Soundstage, where he talks about having used Rain-X and a green marker(Staedtler Lumocolor 357, price about $3.00) as a treatment on his CDs to great effect.

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize200005.htm

Being the complete geek that I am, I had to try it for my self. I found the marker at Office Depot, and picked up a little bottle of Rain-X for $2.99. I treated a couple of CDs that I have ended up with duplicate copies of (Grant Green's Green Street, Frank Sinatra Sextet Live In Paris)and tested the Rain-X/marker treated vs. untreated disks.

Well, low and behold, the treated disks sounded notably improved; the music was clearer and louder, especially the midrange, the soundstage was larger with better definition and separation of instruments and the bass was tighter and deeper.

I can't say that the Rain-X treatment was or was not better sounding than the AI, but at the least very it is close, for a fraction of the price.

Has anyone else ever tried the Rain-X treatment?
craig_hoch
Douglas(Or anyone else out there who's mind is not concrete on this subject: Thoroughly mixed up, and permanently set), you may want to read this:- (http://www.ultrabitplatinum.com/How_it_Works.html) Whether you believe this information or not- THE PRODUCT WORKS, PERIOD!! If you never try something, you have no valid opinion on the subject and further discussion is simply pissing up the proverbial rope.
Sorry- I forgot: Your right to Freedom of Speech not withstanding. It's hard to let others have the last word though, isn't it?
I bought the Rain-X. The package says "do not use on plastics..." I'm sure I have a disc that I don't care about and it will get the treatment. If I try it and it doesn't work am I then authorized to say so?

I know it works on windshields, so my $3.99 will not be wasted.
KUDOS Eldartford- You've taken the first step on the road to recovery(even if you don't hear a difference). You DO know flying with your window open is hazardous to your hearing, right? Or do you always wear a Bose headset too? =8^)
Rodman, know when enough's enough. The man is actually trying it. I give him credit, as he's willing to investigate what he feels is contradictory to his understanding. He doesn't need hecklers. :)

I'm as "up for a good joke" as anyone but I'm serious about the advantages of disc treatment. It won't help the cause if he's angry or feels he's being mocked for trying it.

If the bottle says it's no good for plastics I would not use it. There are too many other good solutions. It's not worth wrecking a CD long term for the change in sound. I recommend products which will effect the result as well as protect the surface; plastic polish as opposed to Rain-X.