Rain-X as CD Enhancement Treatment

I have used the Auric Illuminator treatment on my CD collection for several years now. I am a believer in the AI, and repeated A/B tests of identical treated/untreated CDs bore out significant improvements after treatment with AI.

I ran out of the fluid and my marker dried out, so I was searching for mew treatments on the market before buying another AI kit or choosing something new. That's when I ran across this article by Greg Weaver at Soundstage, where he talks about having used Rain-X and a green marker(Staedtler Lumocolor 357, price about $3.00) as a treatment on his CDs to great effect.

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize200005.htm

Being the complete geek that I am, I had to try it for my self. I found the marker at Office Depot, and picked up a little bottle of Rain-X for $2.99. I treated a couple of CDs that I have ended up with duplicate copies of (Grant Green's Green Street, Frank Sinatra Sextet Live In Paris)and tested the Rain-X/marker treated vs. untreated disks.

Well, low and behold, the treated disks sounded notably improved; the music was clearer and louder, especially the midrange, the soundstage was larger with better definition and separation of instruments and the bass was tighter and deeper.

I can't say that the Rain-X treatment was or was not better sounding than the AI, but at the least very it is close, for a fraction of the price.

Has anyone else ever tried the Rain-X treatment?
craig_hoch

Showing 12 responses by rodman99999

The problems that polishes and green markers address has nothing to do with "jitter". LASERs can and will mistrack/misread, if skewed by scratches(microscopic or otherwise)on the disc's surface, or if picking up stray/reflected LASER light. Treated the inner and outer edges of the disc with GREEN marker has the effect of cancelling the reflections, as GREEN has the proper wavelength to absorb the LASER's red wavelength. I've tried green markers on some discs and did notice a slight tightening in the bass when played, but not enough to warrant continuation of the process with my other discs. Using UltraBit Platinum on my discs is another story altogether. Everything becomes more "focused" with regard to separation between voices(intrumental or vocal) on whatever is played. The video store I frequent has a great deal of trouble with sloppy people handling their rentals. The discs typically have a lot of scratches/abrasions, and the store uses an abrasive liquid and polishing machine on them(more damage). Over half the time, neither of my DVD players will read the DVDs without going mosaic, stopping or skipping to the next chapter at some point during play. When I treat such discs with the UBP, they play without a hitch, and the picture is noticably sharper as well. Neither of my DVD players are cheap, or have anything wrong with them. My CD player is a Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5 and needs nothing with regard to performance enhancement. Using a good polish to fill and eliminate anything on your software(CD or DVD) that might affect your LASER's focus will definately enhance it's performance, and the resultant playback sound/picture. Then again- Your ability to appreciate the improvements would depend on your systems resolution, and/or your aural/visual acuity. No doubt the possibility one's convictions being found wrong stops a lot of people from ever trying some things. Yet they never hesitate to voice their unfounded opinions. Freedom of Speech IS precious though.
BTW: The Rain-X concept is(filling and polishing micro-scratches) to make glass too slick for water to adhere, and has worked wonderfully for me. I had my wipers go out on a Camaro, in a thunderstorm, some years back. Found an auto parts store, bought and applied the stuff. Never did bother to get the wipers fixed as long as I owned the car. If you live in a snow-belt state: Ice removal from the treated glass is simply a matter of hitting it once with your scraper, and the ice pops off in one sheet(no scraping). I've not tried it on any of my CDs, but don't doubt it would aid a LASER's ability to focus through a disc's surface .
Hey Craig- Did you have any idea that posting your very successful experiments and results would bring these semi-deaf, nay-saying, untesting but highly opinionated termites out of the woodwork? =8^)
Mr E- Yeah, There's no doubt that they do work, and very well(hard for me to swallow, given my reactions to some of Amar's past concoctions). Did he learn advertising at MIT too?
He won't hear any difference on Blose 901's anyway(hee hee). What a waste of keystrokes!
Eldartford- Don't you think I know all that? Couldn't resist the chain-yank though! If we can't have a little fun in here: What's the point? =8^)
Douglas- He and I have picked at one another in good humor for some time now. I'm certain he's old(and intelligent) enough to defend himself, thank you. Credit? Look up "KUDOS" in your Funk and Wagnalls.
If everyone maintained a commitment to existing theories of what explains observations that dismissed new observations, there would be no further "science".
I just tried the stuff on one of those pesky, non-playing, scratched all to hell DVDs from the video rental store Friday nite. It worked just as well as my UltraBit Platinum(the disc played perfectly after treatment). This thread will save me a lot of money in UBP($4/bottle vs $65/bottle). It's in vogue for me as of two days ago. I'll save the UBP for my CDs.
Douglas(Or anyone else out there who's mind is not concrete on this subject: Thoroughly mixed up, and permanently set), you may want to read this:- (http://www.ultrabitplatinum.com/How_it_Works.html) Whether you believe this information or not- THE PRODUCT WORKS, PERIOD!! If you never try something, you have no valid opinion on the subject and further discussion is simply pissing up the proverbial rope.
Sorry- I forgot: Your right to Freedom of Speech not withstanding. It's hard to let others have the last word though, isn't it?
KUDOS Eldartford- You've taken the first step on the road to recovery(even if you don't hear a difference). You DO know flying with your window open is hazardous to your hearing, right? Or do you always wear a Bose headset too? =8^)