WHY CABLES MATTER!

I have seen the argument over and over again on why cables matter and the that wire is just wire and how scientifically it’s impossible for them to make a difference. The thing that surprises me the most is that different materials are used. Different shielding is used. Different connectors are used. Different braiding methods of the cables are used. Materials are sourced from different manufacturers and put through different creative processes but I always get some guy who comes on and says. WIRE IS WIRE AND YOU ARE NOT HEARING WHAT YOU ARE HEARING? To me it’s pure arrogance to think you know more than everybody else to the point where you tell me what we are hearing through my ears and we are not smart enough to know when are minds are playing trick on us. But using all these different materials, process and shielding and creative processes don’t make a difference. I spent the last 15 years trying all the cables I could try.  Thoughts anyone?

calvinj

@invalid 

I've had Polk sda2a speakers for over 30 years

I had that same speaker. I bought mine back around 1991 or '92. I liked them but didn't tend to use that crosstalk cable. I didn't understand how it was supposed to work and so I honestly never noticed the SDA effect. Many years later I set up my own SDA arrangement using four bookshelf speakers and it was highly effective. By then I understood the concept and knew how to set it up and what to listen for, but no longer had the SDA speakers. More recently I've used 3 speakers to get the same effect, mixed L-R, L+R, R-L. This has once again been done with little bookshelf speakers, but I just bought a 3rd horn tweeter so I'm on my way to getting it set up in a fully horn loaded arrangement.

asctim

We’d love to see just some decent explanation of what’s going on. I’d be happy with some simple measurements.

Who exactly is the "we" you apparently pretend to represent?

If some simple measurements would please you, feel free to make some of your own.

@cleeds 

Who exactly is the "we" you apparently pretend to represent?

If some simple measurements would please you, feel free to make some of your own.

The "we" are the ones you referred to as not interested in discussion, but would rather disrupt it. I'm assuming I might seem to be in that camp, but I really am interested in learning more about this, not just disrupting for disruption's sake. 

I will definitely make some measurements if I think I hear something change as a result of changing cables. For now, I'm happy with what I see on the Passlabs website link I posted.

@asctim 

I went with getting the color calibrator, because I didn't know how to prove to myself that my reference would be correct.  Everything looks great for sure now, though.

My stereo is my reference compared to anything else I hear, but its not really very expensive, so I'm going to try a more expensive power cable, next.  No, I should try a better IC first.

If you're Apple box looks the same as your TV's Apple app, you're probably just not bothering to be discriminating enough.  When I buy a new video card for the same pc setup, the calibration of all colors goes off to a point where it says it should be noticeable by now.  So, each different device also digitally outputs different levels, regardless of what the software is telling it to.  It's just not really to a great extent, the calibration software's number just reads off by a beginning to be noticeable amount.

I know this is an audio forum, but in a 'do cables matter' discussion, an independent measuring device showing a difference counts.  There are probably people who will argue that it would be even more noticeable in audio than video.  I can't really find too many videophile forums, outside of setting up the 9.1 Atmos part.  Don't really want to, either.  I don't want to hear about how much better people's $10k 42" screens look compared to mine.  It was already 3x as much as usual, for the good one with extended color range.  On the bright side, there were only a couple of 42" monitors that costed more, and the one that was 2x as much as this, was the same model, except with better HDR accuracy, however both of their HDR modes destroyed the picture, otherwise.  HDR screenis are still in their infancy, though it's encoded in the available movies at a per-pixel level, so no worries there.

Anyways, I would recommend a color meter if you care about the intended reference, however, it could lead to you being just as picky about what you're getting as you probably are with your audio, since you're here.  Have you tried a better power cable on your screen, yet?  😈

Argh. Not again. You are not going to change anyone's mind so why bother bringing it up?

Speaking solely for myself, these types of inherently polarizing threads get really tiresome.