Does the Audio press ever excite you anymore?

Just wondering if anyone has read any news article lately (please link!) they felt was actually exciting or compelling, even better if it was related to how you listen or a product you were personally interested in.

For myself, I have been much more excited about big flat screen TV's than anything in the audio press for the past couple of years.

erik_squires

Interesting how the PS Audio DAC got such a seemingly bad review a few months ago, yet ended up a Class A rated DAC in the newest issue Oct. 2023...not sure if the mags have really changed, or just losing interest in them after a few decades...

Haven’t been excited by/about the audio press for years. The writers of yore though - some of them at least, from Stereophile and TAS in particular - had the younger me glued to the pages through quite a few reviews and the both entertaining and enlightening writing in there, some of which I used as a "double check" measure for products I was interested in, in conjunction with listening impressions at local dealers. Later on I started developing an interest in products and ways in home audio reproduction that weren’t readily covered by audio magazines, and coupled with a progressing sense of audio press/audiophilia fatigue and a same-same feeling I slowly "devolved" out of the whole thing. Now and then I do however watch YouTube videos from OMA and others.

The audio press have been saying the same thing using the same or similar terms for as long as I have been involved.  That's over 50 years.  Some of the worst writers are still active.  

It's a very curious Role they play.

They display a lovely amplifier or speaker they just received and they're in love with it.  When was the last time you see them not being in love with something.

It's a little bit compelling to watch these guys manipulate attitudes. I don't trust anything they have to say. When I do listen I hopefully will learn something about how a device works and put together but they rarely talk about this.

Clearly they are all compromised, and biased. 

There are a few writers that I enjoy reading their reviews. Herb is one and Dave McNair at Part Time Audiophile.