Power Tube Matching

Can someone translate the two #’s on the tube boxes?

What does the first two digit # signify? Plate current I think. And I assume millivolts, milliamps? Or what?

And the 2nd four digit # means transconductance I gather. What is transconductance?

How far apart can these #’s be before they are considered unmatched? And if you explain with percentage, I will need to know how high the numbers go, so maybe stick to actual number increases. My point being, on the internet people just say "5% difference." This means nothing if the plate current numbers can go up to 35 million, or only 100, or maybe 50, or 120.

So, if I Bob has 3 tubes that all have the first number of 14.3.....what numbers on a forth tube would be considered matched? 17.1, 18.4, 19.0, 25.8, or even 12.3?

What happens really if Bob used an unmatched pair of tubes in an amp. And it would be nice to hear about direct experience.

Thank you for your time,

TD

128x128tonydennison

@clio09 

Ok, so Im looking at the Ram EL34's. Tell me about these. Were they made by RAM, or just selected and tested by RAM? if the latter.....where did they come from?

I am intrigued. Are these NOS (from when) or current production (from where)?

Thank you,

TD

@clio09 knows

RAM = Roger Modjeski….sadly RIP

probably the father of modern computerized tube testing and very importantly had ears and greatly understood the various tube applications and SOE….. he knew how to get 10 k hours out of output tubes…

i miss him… greatly 

The RAM EL34s are either from China or Russia. Roger used to purchase large volumes of raw stock from the factories or other sources. Then he would test them and only keep the tubes that tested to his desired specs. The NOS stock EL-34s we carry are Siemens from the old East German factory. During testing each tube is given a serial number and when testing is complete the machine prints a label with the test data for that tube which is then attached to the box.