What was your first record?

The first record I ever owned: ‘At the Hop’ by Danny and the Juniors ( just listened to it, and it made me get up and dance!)

The first record I ever bought myself: ‘Meet the Beatles’

128x1281111art

I have been thinking n thinking what was the first album i bought with my own money.The Beatles 65,bought it at Woolworth's in Manhattan. I was a Freshman in High School Aviation HS class of 69.

First record was “Headquarters” The Monkees - mom bought it for me at the local grocery store, King Soopers, in Denver

First one bought with my own money was “Closer to Home” Grand Funk Railroad - still remember listening to it with my cousin after my grandpas funeral.  Never got to see them in concert, but my cousin did.  I was always jealous.

It’s interesting that we all remember that first record.  So much music from that time that I say is part of my actual DNA 

I appreciate this thread. Thank you to the OP. I was just wondering though, as I read all these great responses, and remember all the great albums I’ve purchased over the years… What will people who are budding music lovers “now” be reminiscing about (in regards to their music) 30, 40, 50+ years from now…? First download? First streaming service? I feel fortunate to have been able to participate in this event. To be able to think back and remember exactly when I bought a particular album, one that I can still pull out and play today. Remember being a kid and saving every penny, then walking to the record store and buying ONE album, because that’s all I had the money for, and spending hours picking “the one”. Then do it all again the next time I saved a couple bucks. 

KISS 

Destroyer

7 years old bought with my own Christmas money. That same year my uncle gave me The Who - Who's Next. My dad got a new stereo system that year so my older sister and I were allowed to use his old Scott system that was relegated to basement duties.