Do NOT Blow Your Entire Budget on Two Channel Audio

Yes, two channel audio is here, and is not going away. However, object based audio is delightful, widely available on Tidal and Apple Music, and should be in the listening room of every music lover on the planet, not just "audiophiles. If you plan to be a music fan a year from now start building your object based audio system today. You will need:

1) A receiver/processor capable of Dolby Atmos.

2) A subscription to Tidal or Apple music.

3) A Firestick, ATV, or Nvidia Shield.

4) A minimum of 7 timber matched speakers and a subwoofer.

Once you experienced stereo would you ever go back to only mono? No, you would build a system capable of either mono or stereo. Now that object based audio has arrived do the same thing. Build a system capable of mono, stereo, AND object based audio. When Elton John heard Rocket Man in an object based format for the first time why did he demand to convert his entire catalog to Atmos? If you don’t know, then you need to go listen to Rocket Man in a good Atmos setup ASAP.

So, take your budget, DIVERSIFY, and get a good Atmos capable receiver or processor. Object based audio is NOT last decades surround sound or home theater. It is for MUSIC first, if you need a recommendation on how to allocate your budget feel free to post a question. Most importantly, you don’t NEED two systems, one for music and one for movies. A good object based audio system can play two channel music just fine. A two channel system on the other hand can’t play object based audio without a proper processor or receiver.

Greg Penny talks mixing Rocket Man in Atmos.

https://youtu.be/ggzfcUKDqdo?feature=shared

kota1

Two channel audio is an illusion. You get an okay illusion of the sound in front of you ... Where ATMOS is most superior is recreating a live event ...

Both two-channel audio and ATMOS create an illusion. It's perfectly fine to prefer one illusion to the other.

I guess the OP has not read about the coupling of BACCH filters and stereo speakers or headphone yet...

No one need atmos after the BACCH filters or even a home theater....

Not only for material cost reason in installation but because of sound quality...

It is the reason i give you this information about BACCH filters ...There is even a new thread about it right now in audiogon...

My 700 bucks system is perfect right now.... I tried to upgrade my amplifier without success so good the Sansui alpha  is... The K340 is the best kept secret in headphone ....  I only need BACCH filters... 😊 You too Kota... But you dont know yet...

@cleeds 

Both two-channel audio and ATMOS create an illusion. It's perfectly fine to prefer one illusion to the other.

The idea I am championing here is not to have to choose, it is to budget to have both. I prefer some mixes in stereo, some mixes in atmos. Generally the gap is quite large in terms of which I prefer, it isn't like just adding sugar to your coffee. 

@mahgister

guess the OP has not read about the coupling of BACCH filters and stereo speakers or headphone yet...

No one need atmos after the BACCH filters or even a home theater....

+1, a BACHH system has advantages over both channel and object based audio, I agree.

It seems i was wrong...😁

I apologize to the OP for my intrusion then... 😊

But it is useful for others to be informed...

A revolution in audio for a decade was missed by most audiophiles because of habit i guess...

+1, a BACHH system has advantages over both channel and object based audio, I agree.