What is the science behind audiophile fuses?

There were many threads on the topic of "audiophile fuses" on this forum, and I sure don't want to open old wounds and trench warfare. The fuse on my preamp blew suddenly two days ago, which prompted me to search for a replacement. That's when I came across the term "audiophile fuse" and the fact that they demand far-out prices. Deeper curiosity brought me to several other fora, where users posted glowing praises about their Zero fuses and other exotica. Now I am a scientist, but not a physicist or electrical engineer: so please enlighten me! How can a fuse have an audible influence on the signal, when the signal does not even pass through it? How can a fuse be "directional" when it deals with alternate current? I mean, if I recall my university physics, a fuse is basically a safety valve and nothing more. Am I completely missing an important point here? My scientific field is drug discovery, and because of this background I am thoroughly familiar with the power and reality of the placebo effect. I that's what I am seeing here, or is it real physics? I need objective facts and not opinions, please. I really appreciate your help!

128x128reimarc

Thanks to everyone and your at times spirited responses. And no, I am not a "puppy seal" asking apparently innocuous questions only to stir up the pot. I am a scientist and a curious one at that. I learned that a fuse is indeed part of the circuit, in series, not in parallel: not the signal circuit itself but the part that supplies the power for proper operation. I also learned that the fuse-material itself (alloy, etc.) shares the characteristics of a resistor, one that "blows" when too much current flows through it. As such, it would make sense, that in a highly dynamic amplifier setting, for split-seconds a sub-optimal level of current would be available to amplify the signal in true fidelity. In so far, the use of materials that have less resistance and yet still fulfill their safety-valve function would make sense - at least theoretically. But what about audio practice? Will one actually HEAR the difference? Or let me re-phrase: will someone with average ears (in my case age-relatedly compromised) and a sub $50K system with enjoyable but probably not stellar performance hear such a difference?

Yesterday I went to the annual "Exotics on Broadway" exhibition in Seaside, part of the world-famous Monterey Car Weekend. Exotic supercars and so-called hyper-cars, some of them costing multiple millions of Dollars, are on public display there for everyone to admire and talk to the developers/dealers for free. If you are into state-of-the-art automotive "art", that’s a place not to miss. I do love looking at these cars, I admit. But driving one? My Tesla S leaves still many of them in the rear mirror, and doing so without the ear-splitting noise of a 1,500 horsepower engine. The same goes for my stereo set-up: I tremendously enjoy what I got in terms of delivering listening joy every night - with Bussmann fuses, mind you. But I also know, that certain tweaks can indeed make a noticeable difference: I recently replaced my Mogami XLR ICs with all-silver, shielded ones from Taiwan, and yes: even I with my compromised hearing could immediately hear the difference; and no: no confirmation bias here, which I thoroughly understand on a professional level, and in any case, the new ICs were rather affordable. So, would I be able to hear such a difference by replacing my Home-Depot fuse (which came standard with my all-tube preamp)? Perhaps, but I don’t really think so; also, because exotic fuses - if they have their audio reason to exist - would probably exerting their "magic" in an amp rather than in a pre - and probably in a much more sensitive, i.e. costly, one, than the ones I use. But that I don’t really know. What I do know, however, that as scientists we always stay on the shoulders of giants (Feynman citation, I believe), and yes, a fundamental characteristic of good science is not to be dogmatic (we do not "believe" in science), but critical nevertheless. Let the data speak. In my case, the "data" are being delivered to my analytical brain through my ears, and not through a sophisticated measuring device, which might indeed pick up differences from audiophile fuses, albeit - at least in my case- inaudible ones. So be it: I "measure" performance along the coordinates of enjoyment and cost, like - I am sure - do many of you. And with the data at hand, and your delightful and sometimes informative comments, I will probably abstain of paying hundreds of $$ for a tweak that I might not be able to hear with the gear, and ears, I got. Again, thanks to all!

as scientists we always stay on the shoulders of giants (Feynman citation, I believe)

This predates Feynman by quite a few years.  From Wikipedia:

[The] metaphor of dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants(Latinnanos gigantum humeris insidentes) … expresses the meaning of "discovering truth by building on previous discoveries".[2]This concept has been dated to the 12th century and, according to John of Salisbury, is attributed to Bernard of Chartres. But its most familiar and popular expression occurs in a 1675 letter by Isaac Newton: "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_on_the_shoulders_of_giants

@reimarc -

If your ears and system could determine/resolve the difference in presentation, between the mentioned XLRs; I'll bet that you'd appreciate what better fuses provide.

As I mentioned: some come with a 30 day, satisfaction guarantee.

Were you to feel them not worth the $$, you'd lose nothing but the time and postage expended, to return them/it.

As an inquisitive scientist, isn't your interest piqued (that much)?

If there's a Hi-Fi Tuning Gold fuse that fits your amp: $49.95* is all it would cost to sate any curiosity.

*ie, scroll down this page: https://www.vhaudio.com/fuses.html

more: https://highend-electronics.com/collections/audiophile-tuning-fuses

@tksteingraber realize that the fuse replacement is just a short piece of conductor adjacent to the power cable.  I don't think you'll ever hear a significant effect fro different coppers on such a short piece of conductor, just so it is heavy (not thinwalled tube).  Now often the fuse holder is not great--it can't be soft copper or it will relax and not clamp the fuse.  Often they are .....clears throat....whispers....steel.  so a good fuse holder would be where to focus your interest. 

That said, I'm as audiophile geek as anybody so I buy high conductivity copper 5mm bar from McMaster car, cut it into fuse lengths on my lathe, and polish with scotchbrite.  I'll be glad to send you one if you want one.

Jerry